Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #1

Lightbulb Boxster Ashtray Cup Holder

I recently removed my cup holders in order to install a double din stereo and needed to find a new way to store a drink. I saw some threads about 3D printed ashtray cup holders but it seems like the stl files got removed. I took it upon myself to design my own based off of pictures and plan on printing it this weekend, check it out

*edit*
just printed out first prototype. need to make some adjustments but overall i like it so far. see second photo

Attached Images

Last edited by Mpico986; 04-03-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: updating
Mpico986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:29 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Look forward to seeing the prototype installed.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:08 AM   #3

Tell me more!!!

Brian
Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #4

Looks nice, but unfortunately it doesn't look very functional to me. I don't see anything that keeps the cup from tipping over.
The holder needs to be much deeper to keep the cup in place during braking and turning.
It's a great idea, though!
Just a suggestion and good luck with your project!

Last edited by piper6909; 04-06-2020 at 08:51 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Looks nice, but unfortunately it doesn't look very functional to me. I don't see anything that keeps the cup from tipping over.
The holder needs to be much deeper to keep the cup in place during braking and turning.
It's a great idea, though!
Just a suggestion and good luck with your project!
On a competing forum... Re... he reveals why he didn't go higher, yet, on the part. When he refines it you'll be all in.

However, I don't believe it will hold 32oz Pabst Blue Ribbon cans... so you'll have to find a work around.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
On a competing forum... Re... he reveals why he didn't go higher, yet, on the part. When he refines it you'll be all in.

However, I don't believe it will hold 32oz Pabst Blue Ribbon cans... so you'll have to find a work around.
Haha! I don't really need one, except maybe for a water bottle. But this was my all-time favorite cup holder style:

https://www.amazon.com/TIHOOD-Adjustable-Folding-Holder-Caravan/dp/B07TXKBWV1

They hold all sizes of cups nicely. I installed a set in my old Dodge Raider. It had plain door cards which made for a perfectly vertical mounting surface. Man, I miss that thing!

Last edited by piper6909; 04-06-2020 at 09:52 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
A Porsche Guy

This is a great concept. I like the Porsche etching. I removed my cup holders during a radio installation and now I have an upper cubby to fill the gap. I'm currently using this seat wedge cup holder style. It can be stored in the back of the seats' pocket when not in use. It holds all types of beverages but I use it mostly to put my cell phone and keys in. Perhaps this can inspire you on your final product.

The flaw in this seat wedge style is it takes away space for the passenger seat when in use and the back of the cup holder isn't padded. I recommend using foam padding tape on the back so it doesn't scuff up your center console if you go with the one I'm using. It's like $5 shipped on eBay.

https://image.dhgate.com/0x0p/f2/albu/g7/M00/18/CF/rBVaSlt1N-aAWlbgAASQPKsLmo4991.jpg

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 04-06-2020 at 11:14 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:34 PM   #8

There is a guy on the 914 world who has created a ashtray insert to mount your phone to,..I bet he could develop something to take place of that way over engineered drink holder in the Boxsters,.Someday soon I will ask him if its possible,
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:42 PM   #9

Working on adjustments to the design. Did not fully print the cup holder piece in order to save filament and just test fit the ashtray part. Future prints will have taller cup holder though
Mpico986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 06:37 AM   #10

Ashtray cup holder

Have you come up with a final product?
Old 07-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #11
A Porsche Guy

Whether the OP came up with the product first and is the one selling it or not, there's a product on Etsy for it. I saw it when I was browsing that site. I laugh when I saw the price.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:27 PM   #12

Garage
Cup Holder

I myself am near finished designing a cupholder that fits into one of the storage cubbies below the radio. I designed one for the ashtray, but the problem with any ashtray design is that is interferes when shifting. My design eliminates that problem and should be more sturdy. My final iteration (hopefully) is on my 3d printer right now. If anyone is interested shoot me a message!

Also, if you can installed a double-din radio like myself, the one I have designed will work perfect in the remaining cubby above the relocated A/C controls. My design also still leaves the cubby usable as it's structure is hollow!

Last edited by jbreak; 07-07-2020 at 10:32 PM.
jbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:50 AM   #13
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreak View Post
I myself am near finished designing a cupholder that fits into one of the storage cubbies below the radio. I designed one for the ashtray, but the problem with any ashtray design is that is interferes when shifting. My design eliminates that problem and should be more sturdy. My final iteration (hopefully) is on my 3d printer right now. If anyone is interested shoot me a message!

Also, if you can installed a double-din radio like myself, the one I have designed will work perfect in the remaining cubby above the relocated A/C controls. My design also still leaves the cubby usable as it's structure is hollow!
Shoot you a message? Dude, this is a forum. Post a ****************ing pic.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #14

Name:  Capture2.JPG
Views: 896
Size:  128.2 KB

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 853
Size:  82.3 KB

I made a couple of cupholder designs myself that I would like to share. The first one may interfere with the shifter due to its height, but it might not be a problem for automatic cars? I'm not sure. I also designed one for the center console that also has a bar on top to prevent the lid from falling down and hitting your drink.

I made these both a while ago, but I designed them to fit Blender Bottles, 16.9 fl oz water bottles, soda cans, and energy drink cans.

Unfortunately I don't have access to my university's 3D printing right now due to the pandemic, but if someone has a 3D printer and would like to test it out, I can PM the SolidWorks file or whatever file type you need.
joeythelyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:05 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Shoot you a message? Dude, this is a forum. Post a ****************ing pic.
My apologies, I am a 20 year old college student who is new to this forum and am still figuring out how it works as I have never used a forum before.

Anyways, below I have attached a picture of the base of my device installed in the cubby. I am currently working on the cupholder part itself which attaches to the base to complete the unit via the threaded hole on the upper right corner of it.

jbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #16
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
jbreak, no apologies required. We tend to eat our young here. Your prototype looks great. Keep at it and post pics when you can. Safe travels.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #17
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreak View Post
My apologies, I am a 20 year old college student who is new to this forum and am still figuring out how it works as I have never used a forum before.

Anyways, below I have attached a picture of the base of my device installed in the cubby. I am currently working on the cupholder part itself which attaches to the base to complete the unit via the threaded hole on the upper right corner of it.

I'm sorry, young man. I'm a 58 year old curmudgeon.

I'll be gentle... for a while.

Welcome to the club! Post away!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:23 PM   #18
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
jbreak, no apologies required. We tend to eat our young here. Your prototype looks great. Keep at it and post pics when you can. Safe travels.
Oh... and he was tasting good. I'm now moving onto my humble pie.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #19
Sharvey

Cubby cup holder

jbreak did you finish your cupholder?

sharvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3d print , 986 , ashtray , boxster , cup holder