Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #1

Sprint Booster V3 Woes - 2001 Boxster S

Hi all,

I recently purchased and installed a V3 Sprint Booster on my 2001 Tiptronic Boxster S. Installation was quite the PITA, since a large black plastic piece above the gas pedal obscures vision of the throttle harness. After a long while of reaching around this piece and using photos from my phone to predict where my hand should go, I connected the Sprint Booster device (now attached to the original throttle harness) to the location where the original throttle harness was attached. However, I did feel like the device harness connection was a little looser than the original connection, no matter how hard I tried to push the device into place.

Now the problems. While throttle response from a stop is great and the revs initially climb much faster than stock, after 2.5K to 3K revs, the engine seems to enter a limp mode of sorts, taking about 10 seconds to go from 3000 to 4000 revs locked in 3rd gear whilst flooring the throttle. This happens in all Sprint Booster modes, even including the one where the device is off and the vehicle is supposed to retain stock throttle response.

On one of the drives, after parking the car and resuming the drive, the car lost all throttle response. A quick engine restart reverted the car to its prior faulty condition, but now I saw check engine codes P1219 and P1577, both referring to the accelerator potentiometer. Deleting these codes did not at all affect throttle behavior and these codes returned upon subsequent restart. This didn't happen again but the car consistently remained in its faulty throttle behavior state, as explained above.

Does this seem like a problem with the device or just a loose connection somewhere? I have attempted to tighten all connections after realizing these issues, but to no avail. I am currently quarantined with most of California and have plenty of time to fiddle around with the device, so any suggestions will be much appreciated.

I will attempt to remove the device to see if that returns the Boxster to its original throttle behavior and will update this thread.

rbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
A Porsche Guy

I have the SB V3 for a few years now. I suggest you remove the air duct you are referring to prior to installation. This gives you more hand room to work around. It requires a core workout and the bigger you are, the harder it is to be under that footwell. You can remove the driver seat if you need to. The connection between the sprint booster and your factory connector should be a clean and snug fit. Use the clips on the SB as your guideline. It should go pass the plastic anchors on the factory connector. Make sure you install it right. If the connection isn't flush then you didn't do it right.

Warning: Make sure the connection is a snug fit. It will go in and took me a few tries in a few separate occasions to finally get it done right. If your connection is loose, it is very dangerous. My experience like yours was it lost throttle response once and I had to get off the road and remove the SB on the spot. This was not pleasant with passing cars on a narrow road. The most dangerous experience I had was when I pulled out of a gas station in a very busy avenue and my car went from 0-60 in 2nd gear off the line before losing throttle response. My throttle jumped to almost 7K rpm after I shift to 2nd gear and gave it some gas from first gear. Luckily there were no cars ahead of my path. This messed up my MAF sensor which threw on the CEL. I had to replace the MAF sensor. This is all due to a simple user error installation. I thought the connection was snug too perhaps like you.

Here is the link to install one.
https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/518400-sprint-booster-install-on-a-986-a.html#post6818295

If everything is done right and you're still getting this issue with the throttle response then perhaps it's a faulty unit. Good luck.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 03-27-2020 at 07:49 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:33 PM   #3

Thank you for the recommendations, I will definitely attempt to take out the air duct and make sure the connection with the SB is tight. Removing the air duct will definitely give me extra space, but I am more restricted by this plastic piece right behind the air duct - is there any way of getting around this?

rbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Who's askin'?

Why?
What does a "SprintBooster" do for you? I mean, I know what they do.... but what do they do FOR YOU?
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
A Porsche Guy

I was always curious about this product over a decade ago. I came across a great deal and I couldn't resist. The Sprintbooster gives the car a "sports" and "sports +" mode that newer vehicles have today with a push of a button. It's a nice feature to have. It helps me with throttle blipping. The pedal lock mode is another feature it'll bring to your car. I haven't tried the the valet mode but I will compare it to Eco mode. It doesn't make the car faster but it feels faster.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #6

Garage
I’ve been thinking about buying this sometime in the near future for my ‘01 S Tiptronic. Despite your woes, would you recommend it?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #7
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
It doesn't make the car faster but it feels faster.
the operative words :
It doesn't make the car faster
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:14 PM   #8

Never tried one on my Boxster but I had a V2 on my Mini years back and really liked it for what I paid (~$100 or so used). Best way of describing it is that it makes the throttle more sensitive and reduces the amount you need depress the pedal to get the same effect (i.e. pressing the pedal down halfway in race mode was equivalent pressing the pedal all the way down with the unit off). It was really nice for rev matching. Think of it like a short throw shifter for your gas pedal.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 AM   #9
A Porsche Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
the operative words :
It doesn't make the car faster
That's right JayG. This product isn't suppose to make the car go faster for anyone who is new to this product and interested in one. There are better options to put your money in that will actually make your car go faster. Like what boxxster said, it lets you reach full throttle faster with less force onto pedal. For those who are interested in one like Traveno I would wait on a bargain deal and not pay sticker.

Rbala, I don't think you will need to remove the plastic behind the air duct once you remove it. Yank the accordion style air duct out for the extra room. The black piece with the circle holes will be movable once you remove that screw. I recommend you light up the footwell area so you can see. The SB should clip into the harness connector. I don't recall if I heard the click but I knew it clipped on correctly after a few failed attempts. It will come loose when you are driving if it isn't attached properly flushed; no matter how snug you think it is. That's how you will lose throttle control and pedal response like I did.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 03-27-2020 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:59 AM   #10
Who's askin'?

yeah... so.... for me, I want as much modulation-ability of the throttle (and brake) as I can get. Making that come-in faster at transition from brake to throttle will only serve to help the ass-end loop around on me.

Perhaps it's my bike years coming into play here, but I want to be able to feed that throttle as slowly or as quickly as possible, so I can manage the available traction.

I guess I'm still confused as to the "why" behind this. I read int he comments that it allows you to get to full-throttle at half-pedal, instead of having to go to full-pedal. So, you've saved 2 inches of toe-travel? What does that last two inches DO, then?
Old 03-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #11
A Porsche Guy

The last few inches of the pedal doesn't do anything as you opened up full throttle faster with max setting. There are different sensitivity settings for V3; 18 setting Sport 1-9 and Race 1-9. These modes can be selected while the vehicle is operating. For safety, it's recommended not to change the mode when pressing the pedal. You can turn it off and go back to stock as well during the drive. Like I said earlier in the post, it adds the Sports mode button that modern cars have today into your Boxster. Whether it's worth it to you or not is really objective and this has been debate since the product came out over a decade ago.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #12
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
Whether it's worth it to you or not is really objective and this has been debate since the product came out over a decade ago.
I take it then, that you don't want to have that debate again? :dance:

Sorry, this is the first I've heard of the product. If it's been belabored, I get it.

I still haven't heard the "Why" though. "Adds a 'sports-mode button' like modern cars"....but a sports-mode button that doesn't really do anything?
like I said...I'm still confused; It feels like I'm missing something.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 AM   #13

Have you ever driven a new(er) car with a sport button? You know how when you press the sport button (depending on the car) the throttle mapping is changed so the gas pedal feels more sensitive and responsive (i.e reduced throw and input delay)? The sprint booster is basically the same thing. No, the car is not faster, but it does feel more responsive. But it's really something you have to try for yourself to understand. Like I said, I really enjoyed it for rev matching and spirited driving. Would I pay full price for one? Probably not, especially given the current USD/CAD exchange rate. But for what I paid for mine, it was definitely one of my favourite mods I did to that car. It's also worth noting that it's not an on/off switch; it comes programmed with a bunch of different maps so there are many points of adjustment between the most sensitive/responsive setting and the least.

To put it in a bike related perspective, its like one of those aftermarket throttles that changes the amount of twist required to fully open the throttle. Now imagine if you could adjust the sensitivity and required amount of twist with a push of a button, on the fly, to your liking.
boxxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:52 AM   #14

I picked up one for cheap a few years ago and I must admit I was quite the skeptic back then. I also agree it was a major pain to install it. It's true that it adds nothing to make the car any faster. However, it's really about it being a change in perception rather than a change in reality. And, who's to say that if you perceive something to be is it real to you or not? Would I do it again? Probably but only at a reasonable price not the full asking price. Just my opinion...
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
yeah... so.... for me, I want as much modulation-ability of the throttle (and brake) as I can get. Making that come-in faster at transition from brake to throttle will only serve to help the ass-end loop around on me.

Perhaps it's my bike years coming into play here, but I want to be able to feed that throttle as slowly or as quickly as possible, so I can manage the available traction.

I guess I'm still confused as to the "why" behind this. I read int he comments that it allows you to get to full-throttle at half-pedal, instead of having to go to full-pedal. So, you've saved 2 inches of toe-travel? What does that last two inches DO, then?
exactly! Just press the pedal a little faster
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:46 AM   #16
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxxster View Post
Have you ever driven a new(er) car with a sport button? You know how when you press the sport button (depending on the car) the throttle mapping is changed so the gas pedal feels more sensitive and responsive (i.e reduced throw and input delay)? The sprint booster is basically the same thing. No, the car is not faster, but it does feel more responsive. But it's really something you have to try for yourself to understand. Like I said, I really enjoyed it for rev matching and spirited driving. Would I pay full price for one? Probably not, especially given the current USD/CAD exchange rate. But for what I paid for mine, it was definitely one of my favourite mods I did to that car. It's also worth noting that it's not an on/off switch; it comes programmed with a bunch of different maps so there are many points of adjustment between the most sensitive/responsive setting and the least.

To put it in a bike related perspective, its like one of those aftermarket throttles that changes the amount of twist required to fully open the throttle. Now imagine if you could adjust the sensitivity and required amount of twist with a push of a button, on the fly, to your liking.
Well let's be clear, though: a "newer car with a sports mode" doesn't change the mapping so the "gas pedal feels more responsive". It changes the mapping so there's actually more power available to the driver (with exceptions, see below). Equally important it changes things like transmission shift points, suspension settings, steering ratios, etc. etc.

There are exceptions to what I've described. There are a few cars who've added a sports mode as a gimmick which does precisely as you've described. And to those manufacturers, I've also asked the question: why?

A simple answer can be "cuz it's different and I like different". I'd fully support that. I've made all sorts of non-sensical mods to cars, over the years. I currently have SOUL exhaust bypass valves on my 986. They really do nothing for power compared to the de-catted, cheap mufflered exhaust that they're attached to. But they sound bad-ass, and they're a fun gimmick, so I keep them.

Your car, and you get to modify it however you like. I LOVE that. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. Once compared to a quick- turn throttle on a bike, well, then I know it's counter- productive for my own purposes. But my purposes are clearly different. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Tags
sprint booster , throttle