Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Spark plug tube o-rings?

Does anyone have a good source for spark plug tube o-rings?
Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms, but I'm not having a lot of luck. My tubes are fine and look great after cleaning them up, so I don't see the point in buying tubes just to get the o-rings.

I'm sure I'll find them, but figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask around.
Thanks!

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Does anyone have a good source for spark plug tube o-rings?
Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms, but I'm not having a lot of luck. My tubes are fine and look great after cleaning them up, so I don't see the point in buying tubes just to get the o-rings.

I'm sure I'll find them, but figured that it wouldn't hurt to ask around.
Thanks!
I got mine from Pelican.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/1042/POR_1042_ELIGNT_pg1.htm#item1
Old 06-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #3

Mine were from Suncoast.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:08 PM   #4

got mine from Pelican as well, just installed them this weekend, all is good! replaced my tubes as well while in there although all 6 were completely fine. I didnt want to take it all out again if i missed a hairline crack or one started soon after doing the work.

Tubes are cheap and although the job isnt "hard" to do, my schedule doesnt permit me to work on the car as often as i like so wanted to check the box while in there already. Also did spark plugs.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/986M/POR_986M_ELIGNT_pg1.htm
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Thanks for the pointers.

Looking at the o-ring prices, I may as well just buy the tubes with o-rings and save myself future headaches.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:20 PM   #6

Pelican for me too. Tubes straight from the P-car dealer. They were actually cheaper.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

Mine came from Pelican too. Replaced the o-rings (both) as well as new tubes (inexpensive).
Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 AM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Update:
Almost a year later, I'm happy to say that the new tubes and o-rings are leak free.
The reason I mention this is because I did not go with one of the bigger name suppliers, but rather ÜRO Parts tubes (o-rings included) from R*ckAuto for $2.50 each ($15 total).

The ÜRO tubes were a bit thicker than OEM (stout), were perfectly round and went in beautifully.
I'll report back when/if they start leaking again, but my conclusion is that they exceed OEM for a fraction of the cost.
Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 06-04-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:35 AM   #9

At that price it's not worth doing a Google search for O ring vendors and trying to find ones in the right size that would stand up to the oil and heat of the engine! It's always good to hear about cheaper alternatives that work as well as OEM.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Now closing in on the 2yr mark (5k miles).
Still leak free!

Picture brought to you by my DIY inspection camera (backup camera and screen + selfie stick + some 3D printed bits)
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Now closing in on the 2yr mark (5k miles).
Still leak free!

Picture brought to you by my DIY inspection camera (backup camera and screen + selfie stick + some 3D printed bits)
Brilliant use of a backup cam!!!

Oh, and congrats on no leaks!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:01 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Thanks. The camera and monitor were left over from my cross country move, so I figured that I may as well recycle them.
It has already seen lots of use.
Old 03-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Update:
Almost a year later, I'm happy to say that the new tubes and o-rings are leak free.
The reason I mention this is because I did not go with one of the bigger name suppliers, but rather ÜRO Parts tubes (o-rings included) from R*ckAuto for $2.50 each ($15 total).

The ÜRO tubes were a bit thicker than OEM (stout), were perfectly round and went in beautifully.
I'll report back when/if they start leaking again, but my conclusion is that they exceed OEM for a fraction of the cost.
I just did mine. I went with the same ones (URO) from the same supplier (Rock auto). I concur, they fit good. In fact, my old OEM ones came out without any tools. The new ones required a little motivation to get seated properly. Makes sense that the new ones have a tighter seal.

Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote