Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: GTA
Posts: 120
Headlight not clipping in.

Boxster 986

Headlight won't clip in 100% secure.

I'm actually afraid that if I have to brake really fast, it may pop off.

All the clips are good. gets into place just fine, but the clip just does not clip in like the other side does.

What can I do?

Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 935
Is it an aftermarket headlight? If so, it may not have the lobes that hold the locking bar in place.

Here's a Porsche light:
You may note three lobes:


Some aftermarket headlights don't have them, and the bar slides down.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-19-2020 at 01:18 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,299
If you have had any body work done on that side recently, make sure there is nothing inside that is preventing the headlight from going all the way in. I had some bodywork done a few years ago and there was a metal tab coming out from the fender that was just a touch off and the headlight wouldnt go all the way in. Other than that, make sure all the tabs are going into their respective slots on the headlight tray. I also find it useful to use a 1/4 inch drive deep six point socket (it's the smallest one in my Harbor Freight metric set) with an extension and a ratchet, rather than the tool that comes in the tool roll with the car.
__________________
2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport insert & transmission mounts, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Finnegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 412
One of mine acted this way for no apparent reason once. Finally it just seated correctly. But I had the same fear that the whole assembly would just slide out when I applied the brakes. Oh, and I second the use of the socket rather than the official tool.
__________________
'04 Midnight Blue Metallic 986
Finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: GTA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Is it an aftermarket headlight? If so, it may not have the lobes that hold the locking bar in place.

Here's a Porsche light:
You may note three lobes:


Some aftermarket headlights don't have them, and the bar slides down.
It may be these tabs
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: GTA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
It may be these tabs

Yeah, that's it. I may have to try to build something up in that area.
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:40 PM   #7
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
Yeah, that's it. I may have to try to build something up in that area.
So you have aftermarket lights, then? Me too.

Here's a pic of mine, it has no lobes either:



Luckily, my car came with the original set in the frunk, so I was able to compare them and I noticed the difference.


I used the tool and wedged the lever against the body so it's constantly keeping back pressure on it. I also used a old caliper bleeder cap on the end of it so it won't scratch the paint (Not pictured). The tool stays in there permanently now and it works like a charm: (pic is upside down, sorry.)




The interesting thing is that the other side seems to hold OK. Only my passenger side was the problem.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-19-2020 at 05:58 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: GTA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
So you have aftermarket lights, then? Me too.

Here's a pic of mine, it has no lobes either:



Luckily, my car came with the original set in the frunk, so I was able to compare them and I noticed the difference.


I used the tool and wedged the lever against the body so it's constantly keeping back pressure on it. I also used a old caliper bleeder cap on the end of it so it won't scratch the paint (Not pictured). The tool stays in there permanently now and it works like a charm: (pic is upside down, sorry.)




The interesting thing is that the other side seems to hold OK. Only my passenger side was the problem.


That's kind of a backwards fix. But if it works.
My drivers side is also fine.
I have 3 sets of old lights and none of the passenger side lights have tabs????
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
That's kind of a backwards fix. But if it works.
HAHA! Yes it is, but it works brilliantly. There's a small bulge in the carpet when you replace it, but all in all, not bad at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
My drivers side is also fine.
I have 3 sets of old lights and none of the passenger side lights have tabs????
I only have one aftermarket set, but if all of yours have tabs on the driver's side but not in the passenger side, then somehow it must be by design. The only thing I can think of is that the emergency release cable is behind the passenger light, so you can pull the light out and get to the cable. Not withstanding the fact that you can reach the cable from the wheel well, although not as easily. I actually moved mine to an easier to access location, so that'll never be a issue with me.

Last edited by piper6909; 03-20-2020 at 04:29 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:46 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: GTA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
HAHA! Yes it is, but it works brilliantly. There's a small bulge in the carpet when you replace it, but all in all, not bad at all.



I only have one aftermarket set, but if all of yours have tabs on the driver's side but not in the passenger side, then somehow it must be by design. The only thing I can think of is that the emergency release cable is behind the passenger light, so you can pull the light out and get to the cable. Not withstanding the fact that you can reach the cable from the wheel well, although not as easily. I actually moved mine to an easier to access location, so that'll never be a issue with me.
I rerouted my cable to be behind the cap for the tow bar.
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:11 PM   #11
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
I rerouted my cable to be behind the cap for the tow bar.
That's a good spot. Many people move it there.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: GTA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
That's a good spot. Many people move it there.
I'm just afraid if somebody has to tow the car when I'm not there, it will get ruined.
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzuki View Post
I'm just afraid if somebody has to tow the car when I'm not there, it will get ruined.
I doubt any tow truck operator will use it at all. They'll hook up underneath to pull the car onto the tilt bed.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:41 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: GTA
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
I doubt any tow truck operator will use it at all. They'll hook up underneath to pull the car onto the tilt bed.
Last guy who took it to the shop for IMS and Clutch asked if I had the tow bar, and used it, even though the car was running, and I could have driven it onto the flatbed.
Fuzzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:18 AM   #15
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
So you have aftermarket lights, then? Me too.
.
Make your own lobes with tiny round head machine screws and nuts
Attached Images
 

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page