Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
Vza

Litronic Upgrade

Well I upgraded my 99 Boxster w/ Litronics and its not working. This is the upgrade with Xenon lights and the control module which allows the low beams to rotate up a few degrees when turning on the high beams. I get the little dance when I have the light switch turned on before I start the car. The beams cycle up down then up again. This is the only time they move. Nothing happens when high beams are on. I checked the wiring pinouts, continuity, wiring (only 3 wires white,ground and power to wash nozzle. ) I also checked voltage. 13.7 V from wire tapped to washer nozzle when engine on, 13.7V from white wire when high beams are switched on. Everything seems to be wired correctly, the motors in the lights work and I have correct voltages. The only thing I can think of is a bad module(I actually tried 2 and got the same results) so they both would be bad or a bad light switch (but the high beams aren't activated from that switch) any thoughts on this? Thanks Vince
​​​​​​​

Vza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
There are 3 types of modules: What is your module part number?
Then there are different types of Litronics: Factory OEMs and Retrofits
What are the part numbers of your Litronics?
Old 03-06-2020, 04:24 PM   #3

BRAN - I sold Vince one of his modules. You should be able to read the part number in this photo. It is from the retrofit kit and it was working fine in my 2000 Boxster before I sold it.

When I removed the retrofit module, I swapped in an original equipment module which I acquired when I bought part of a wiring harness for a different project. Since both worked in my car, I thought I would send Vince the newer module that was designed for retrofit - so he wouldn't have any problems with the installation.

Vince's car is a 1999. Could that be part of the issue?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 06:34 AM   #4

When I installed my litronics, one of the headlight assemblies had a defective internal wiring harness. I have attached a picture.

Based on other posts I've seen, this is fairly common problem that is caused by Porsche's use of biodegradable wire insulation. Vince may want to open the back of his headlights to see if he is experiencing that issue.

If it is the problem, he can find information on replacing the harness in this thread:

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/54697-advice-used-litronics.html
Attached Images

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:01 AM   #5
Vza

I repaired the cracking insulation prior. Wasn't too much but some.

Vza is offline   Reply With Quote