Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Seal Gray with Zanzibar Red Accents?

After about 6 months of ownership, I really feel that my Seal Gray needs some finesse...

I want to add vinyl Porsche door stripes and have roll bar covers. I also might put an accent stripe on a duck tail if I add one. I am thinking about going with Zanzibar Red as an accent color and am trying to imagine it with the seal gray. I have seen some rare orange highlights on seal gray (mostly the orange from the gulf colors I think), and I think it can look good, but Zanzibar is a complex color, ranging from red to bright orange depending on the light, and then there is the fact I will be spraying it in small quantities from an aerosol can for the roll bar covers and body accents and I do not know how well the vinyl stripes will show the depth of the color.

I made some mock ups to try to capture the idea and get feedback.. I even photoshoped on a Zanzibar colored mirror even though I don't know I would go that far. It is there mostly to help show the contrast of the colors...

Excusing my poor photoshop skills and imaging it as best as possible, what do you think? interesting combo? Fools errand?

bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #2

I've always liked the combo of my seal grey with orange (or Zanzibar)...that's why I've never done any de-ambering.

That said, oddly enough if you go with that color you might want to change out the amber corner reflectors—unless you could get the accent color just the same color, the two wouldn't really look good together. IMHO.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #3

Seal grey is my favorite color. It is your car and your choice. I wouldn't but then why would my opinion matter. I've always thought the side stripes reeked of somebody pretending to be a racer.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Thank you both!

I do appreciate the feedback I am very much on the fence..

I do like the side stripes a lot. I get the racer image.. For me they complete the car. I actually think it looks really classy. Either way, I know I can alway take them off if I don't like them. I am really not sure about other accents though like the spoiler and roll bars.

The original inspiration was this:

Then I started looking at images of zanzibar cars and really liked some aspects (like this interior)

That got me thinking about a zanzibar theme... but I have not found any pictures of it being done before. I have a sport design interior and it is the only part of the car that has not aged well. Scratches easily and I am not sure I really like it anyway. I think the orange looks really sharp.

If anything, I think i will start with side stripes and maybe try some interior accents.. not sure. But I think i will go with seal gray for the roll bars. (currently also scratched up sport design speckle)
Old 03-01-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
01 Seal Gray 986 S

For now I going to get started with these in Black stripes / Orange text: https://stripegarage.com/collections/porsche-vinyl-decal-stripes/products/singer-style-911-stripes?variant=31370200809568

I think the black is better than the grays i had above for the stripe as it will mesh with the top..

Since they are for 911's I am guessing i will have to cut them a bit to fit, but I don't think it will be much trouble. For $50 I can either start down the path or realize it is a stupid idea :P worth-while investment...
Old 03-01-2020, 07:21 PM   #6

I really appreciate your computer skills, color choices not so much 🙂. As was stated it's your car do what you feel you like.
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #7
01 Seal Gray 986 S

Thanks for the feedback. I asked because I wanted it!

Will try the door stripes only.. easy enough to undo.