Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2020, 09:30 PM   #1

Garage
Connecting rod bolt torque

Hey Folks, I`m a bit confused with this chart on torque settings. There are two different angle values (90 vs 110) listed for the conrod bolts, but I can`t see the difference, the text is the same for both.. Could someone enlighten me please? See below.

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post
Hey Folks, I`m a bit confused with this chart on torque settings. There are two different angle values (90 vs 110) listed for the conrod bolts, but I can`t see the difference, the text is the same for both.. Could someone enlighten me please? See below.

It's a 2 step process, 1st torque to the 1st spec for both bolts on the same rod, then tighten the stated degree. So if it calls for 90 degree, tighten a additional 1/4 rotation. I'm not sure about the 7r designations because I always chunk the stock bolts & install ARP bolts that have a torque spec only, and they are much better than oe.

I have a set of ARP's in stock I'll sell if you want to upgrade.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 02-20-2020 at 10:29 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeoboxter View Post

It's odd, for sure. I suspect an editing issue, like a typo, and here's why;

googling, there are some obvious references to some M96 engines which had a M10x1.25 connecting rod screw. I can't find anything defining when / where they were used, but in each case I've found them in use it's been on a 3.2L engine. I wonder if this was in the early M96 motors destined for GT3 cars, or some other performance-spec? It's very vague and incomplete information, yet it's out there.

So I wonder if they meant to list the M10x1.25 on one of those lines, but typo'd it, or auto-correct "fixed it" for them? OR - when they compiled the values for whatever your source is, the M10 was determined to be unnecessary in that context so it was expressly changed to M9, but left the line there so as not to interrupt the page-breaks in an otherwise-ready-to-print document.

These are "guesses" based on the information available.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
It's odd, for sure. I suspect an editing issue, like a typo, and here's why;

googling, there are some obvious references to some M96 engines which had a M10x1.25 connecting rod screw. I can't find anything defining when / where they were used, but in each case I've found them in use it's been on a 3.2L engine. I wonder if this was in the early M96 motors destined for GT3 cars, or some other performance-spec? It's very vague and incomplete information, yet it's out there.

So I wonder if they meant to list the M10x1.25 on one of those lines, but typo'd it, or auto-correct "fixed it" for them? OR - when they compiled the values for whatever your source is, the M10 was determined to be unnecessary in that context so it was expressly changed to M9, but left the line there so as not to interrupt the page-breaks in an otherwise-ready-to-print document.

These are "guesses" based on the information available.
My source is the forum, I found this chart somewhere here in one of the threads. It`s entirely possible what you are saying, if I understand correctly. I didn`t know about M10 bolts, but I assume the 110 degree turn belongs to those ones and it`s a typo.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:29 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
It's a 2 step process, 1st torque to the 1st spec for both bolts on the same rod, then tighten the stated degree. So if it calls for 90 degree, tighten a additional 1/4 rotation. I'm not sure about the 7r designations because I always chunk the stock bolts & install ARP bolts that have a torque spec only, and they are much better than oe.

I have a set of ARP's in stock I'll sell if you want to upgrade.
Yeah, I got that, what I don`t understand is when you need to use the 90 degreee turn and when the 100 degree. The text is identical for both. Thanks for the ARP offer but I already have a new set of the original bolts. Would you share the torquing specs for the ARPs just for comparison? Thanks!