Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #1

convertible top woes

friends
So the plastic ends on the rods that attach the top to the transmission are broken. I have new ones on order. no sweat. the problem is my windows won't fully close even though the top is closed and latched. I replaced the micro switch, no help. I'm also getting the top isn't closed message .Any ides?
Thanks

boxsterboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:22 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Quick guess might be the window regulators are going/gone bad. The cables stretch over time and the windows won't drop properly. From experience, spring for the OEM regulators, if you R&R them. Have you tried tripping the micro switch with your finger or pencil? Does that turn the light off? Maybe there is a micro switch alignment issue?

I would be curious why both cable ends are broken. Be careful with the top transmissions. As I understand, there is a very specific procedure for getting those setup correctly. I have not done it myself. Pelican Parts has an in depth DIY. Maybe you can glean something from it? www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/BODY_Convertible_Top_Gear_Replacement/BODY_Convertible_Top_Gear_Replacement.htm
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

Garage
Be wary when replacing those rods. There's a reason they broke in the first place and if that is not repaired, the new ones will suffer the same result. After replacing them in my car twice, I gave up and gutted all the mechanics for the top and went full manual. Perhaps I was too harsh, but would hate to see you bust the new rods right away.
CoBeerToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Thanks for the help
It turns out the plastic transmission gears are kaput. Any thoughts on metal vs plastic replacements?
Also, there is a micro switch on the drivers side transmission which controls the windows. I wired it in the on position so the windows are fully functioning while i wait for parts. Just an FYI.
Thanks again

boxsterboxster is offline   Reply With Quote