Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2023, 05:40 PM   #1

Convertible Top Replacement

I need to replace the top on my 1997 Boxster. It had a plastic window which has cracked and faded. I have found a replacement top with glass window including frame in a salvage yard that was a replacement on a 1999 model. The salvaged one has a glass window. I have read some threads that indicate the glass window replacement will require modification of the top transmission for tight fitment. The salvage yard assures me all I need to do is take out three bolts on both sides, lift the old one off and bolt in the salvage frame and top with glass window. I had converted the old top to manual operation due to needing to do "the Boxster chop" anyway. Am thinking about trying to go back to automatic operation with the replacement top. The salvage yard is asking $1200. Any thoughts from forum members with experience in doing this will be appreciated.

WillyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:46 PM   #2
Toppy

Garage
On the 1999 top how may bows does it have, if 3 it is likely an aftermarket top on a 97-99 frame which can be just bolted on a 1997. If there are 4 then it is an OEM glass top from a 03/04 which will require top transmission replacements, and a new top relay from 2000-2004 model years. There is also some re-wiring required
Old 11-08-2023, 05:54 PM   #3
Toppy

Garage
This link was copied from 2nd post “thinking of buying a Boxster”
http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages
Old 11-10-2023, 11:10 AM   #4

Toppy986,

Thanks so much for the advice. I checked closer and found that the salvaged top has a three bow frame. I bought it. I have removed my six bolt and understand the microswitch on the B pillar must be removed to slide the frame back and ultimately lift it off of the car. I removed the metal compression clip and thought the switch would fall out but no luck. Don't want to break it. Any hints on how I can remove that micro switch? Photo attached. Thanks.

Old 11-10-2023, 07:43 PM   #5
Toppy

Garage
When I pulled the original top off my 99 I didn’t remove the micro switch, just left it in place, my understanding is that the tops from a 97-99 have an additional finger on the frame that trips the switch on the B pillar to let the car know that the top is up. In 2000 Porsche change the design to incorporate this switch in the drivers top transmission, that is when I had to replace my top transmissions and do the additional wiring when I changed to a 2003 top. In your case with a 97 model year you should just be able to remove the top with out removing the micro switch and bolt the new 99 top on,
If the top does not just pull back with the 6 bolts removed, I have seen a write up where there could also be a Phelps screw on each side, they were not there in my case. Check out the article about top replacements
https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/installinga03-04glasstopandframeona97
This should help
Old 11-11-2023, 05:29 AM   #6

Thanks for the link. I am trying to obtain the referenced pdf files from the writer. In the meantime, I have removed the three bolts and phillips screw from both sides. I have removed the micro switch from the driver's side. At this point, something is holding the old top frame in place and I am not able to slide it back. Tough to get a good grip on it with enough force to make it budge. ideas?
Old 11-11-2023, 06:21 AM   #7

Too late now I suppose, but I had a new top installed 4 yrs ago on my 98 Boxster. I replaced my old plastic window top with the newer rear glass version. The whole job (material and labor) was $1,200.

I assume the OP obtained quotes from their area installers before buying a used top and starting the DIY job. Certainly "braver" than me!
Old 11-11-2023, 02:06 PM   #8

The writer was not me but assuming your last name begins with High, you should have Maurice's files. Good luck.

Tags
frame , glass , replacement , top