Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #1

Becker CD220 is killing me

Hi,

New to the forum - 2002 Boxster.

I'm sorry my first post is a gripe but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My Becker HU simply 'locks up' when playing a CD. What I mean by locks up is just that. Not a single button will function. Now the CD plays and it plays at the volume that you were listening at but you are stuck. The only thing you can do is eject the CD but then you are stuck listening to the radio at the station it was last set to.

What gets me is that I can't even power it off! I once turned the ignition off and restarted the car to no avail. I wonder if I somehow screwed the system up by trying to play a CD-RW the first day I got the vehicle.

Love the car, hate the radio. I'm looking at a Nakamichi CD500 or something to replace it in the Spring.

Thanks.

karlc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlc42
I'm looking at a Nakamichi CD500 or something to replace it in the Spring.
Why the 500??? The 300 sounds the same with a 24 bit DAC and is $300 less!
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=760
Old 10-11-2006, 12:05 PM   #3

Hi,

I think there's a simple solution for you. Do you regularly remove the faceplate? If so, it may just be misaligned.

I'd remove it and carefully replace it. Also, while you have it removed, take a Q-Tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the contacts on both the faceplate and the head unit itself. I bet this fixes your problem. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #4

My Becker CD chager only plays one track of six..i imagine the changer is bad...
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Why the 500??? The 300 sounds the same with a 24 bit DAC and is $300 less!
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=760

blinkwatt -

You're right. The 300 would looks to be the better buy. I zeroed-in on the 500 mainly for the aux input but as long as the unit plays MP3's via CD-RW, I'm all set.

Actually I'm going to the try the aux input cable from EPIQ on the CDR220. I followed MNBoxster's advice and sure enough, the unit seems to be behaving much better. I'll try for the speaker upgrade first and give the Becker a second chance.

Thanks guys.
karlc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:56 AM   #6

Try this method for integrating your iPod: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5190

Here are the instructions for adding rear speakers:
http://www.pelicanparts.com//techarticles/box_rear_speakers/box_rear_speakers.htm

I used the PNP kit rather than the OEM Porsche kit. You can find it on eBay or PM me for Harvey's e-mail address.

Together these to modifications increased my satisfaction (or rather decreased my dissatisfaction) with the Becker unit to the point that I don't feel a burning desire to replace it.

If you eventually buy a Nakamichi unit, the rear speakers and any other speaker upgrades you make won't be wasted.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is online now   Reply With Quote