Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #1

OT: New Beetle

Sorry for the OFF TOPIC post.

I'm going to go look at an 02 New Beetle this week, even taking a dolly so I can tow it home. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/d/apache-junction-2002-vw-beetle-turbo/7034569145.html

Talked to the guy, the accurate mileage is about 160k, which might worry me in a turbo'd car. He says it has Arizona sun rash, the clearcoat is peeling some. The bushings in the shifter have been replaced, the rear upper brake lite is in the trunk, the passenger window needs new linkage. Says the timing belt and coolant pump have been replace.

Looks pretty nice, but I'm used to and impressed by the quality of Toyotas. New Beetles have a rep of iffy, unreliable electrics. I'm hoping all of the standard problems have been time tested out.

It's place in my life would be a project car and a funzy to drive. The price is pretty much chump change for me.

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
They are terrible cars. The plastics crumble if you touch them. The adhesive used hold the interior together lasted 10 years at best. The cast aluminum oil pan is designed to be the first point of impact if you bump a curb. I was really happy to sell the one that I had bought for my daughter.

...Then about a year after I sold it, it was wrecked by the kid who bought it and came back to me for the cost of a $225 towing bill.

Having it back wrecked and for basically free opened my mind to new possibilities. It's one of my favorite cars now:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/no-this-is-not-a-build-i-want-it-gone/137718/page1/
Old 01-06-2020, 08:50 AM   #3

Think the biggest item with these is to stay ahead of the timing belt & water pump. Then you have shoddy interior issues - headliner coming unglued, door panels that come apart, and seats that wear thru. With that mileage, you may need to overhaul or replace the turbo.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #4

Thanks, I heard all that. Found another that I'm gonna probably buy tomorrow. Looks nice, doesn't need paint. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/phoenix-beetle-convertible/7039480124.html

A bit more money, but a hundred k less mileage, a coupla years newer, and a ragtop. All the things I would look for in a collector car. Does need a window regulator, and a replacement door card. Rear window has been reglued, and the timing belt and water pump were replaced 15k ago. Has good tires, too and a leather interior. Door card lookslike it might be sorta spendy.:troll: Taking my Autel to reset the airbag light whether I buy it or not.

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 01-06-2020 at 10:42 AM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
They are terrible cars. The plastics crumble if you touch them. The adhesive used hold the interior together lasted 10 years at best. The cast aluminum oil pan is designed to be the first point of impact if you bump a curb. I was really happy to sell the one that I had bought for my daughter.

...Then about a year after I sold it, it was wrecked by the kid who bought it and came back to me for the cost of a $225 towing bill.

Having it back wrecked and for basically free opened my mind to new possibilities. It's one of my favorite cars now:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/no-this-is-not-a-build-i-want-it-gone/137718/page1/
very cool!
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:46 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
Thanks, I heard all that. Found another that I'm gonna probably buy tomorrow. Looks nice, doesn't need paint. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/phoenix-beetle-convertible/7039480124.html

A bit more money, but a hundred k less mileage, a coupla years newer, and a ragtop. All the things I would look for in a collector car. Does need a window regulator, and a replacement door card. Rear window has been reglued, and the timing belt and water pump were replaced 15k ago. Has good tires, too and a leather interior. Door card lookslike it might be sorta spendy.:troll: Taking my Autel to reset the airbag light whether I buy it or not.
If you want a collector car buy a nice early VW bug & install a Air cooled technology engine.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:55 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

This is super cool! Nicely done.

Quote:
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #8

With these cars it seems a major part of the wiring runs through the radio. Replace your OE radio with something else and you'll have problems.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:54 PM   #9
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
They are terrible cars. The plastics crumble if you touch them. The adhesive used hold the interior together lasted 10 years at best. The cast aluminum oil pan is designed to be the first point of impact if you bump a curb.
They did change the pans on the later cars, my '05 1.8T had a hybrid aluminum/steel pan, and since it was a convertible also had a steel skid plate. My '00 2.0 had all-aluminum, and I want to say my '07 GTI had a hybrid pan but I can't remember. But yeah, interior just falls apart if you look at it funny - plus the absolute worst soft-touch paint known to mankind.

Quote:
Holy crap that's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
With these cars it seems a major part of the wiring runs through the radio. Replace your OE radio with something else and you'll have problems.
I believe it's in the K-line that would need to be isolated.

2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote