Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #1

How long are the Michellin PS2 meant to last?

I have my 05 Base Boxster with 6,000 miles and I think they are kind of owrn out,
driving fast sharp turns, I have had the rear end drift a few times.
Maybe a sign of worn out tires?

motoadve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:29 AM   #2

probably more a sign of hauling a$$. also, check your tire pressures. i've found that the factory recommended rear pressure of 36PSI was too high. dropping it to 32 and increasing the front to 31 has worked for me. (keep in mind, though, that i run 18X225F and 18X275R)

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:42 AM   #3

Mine are 18x 235 and 18v 265.
Thanks for the tire pressure tip, will put those pressures and see how it goes.

I just cant helped going fast on winding roads with no traffic, its very addictive , the Boxster its too much fun.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:46 AM   #4

My first set of PS2 were pretty worn at 7,600 miles, not down to the lines but I put a new set on anyway, $$$! Nice tires but they do not seem to wear well.

The wear rating on the PS2 is only 220, on my other car I get 20K mikes with some all season Continentals rated at 280 so I was expecting them to last about 15K - 16K miles. Two key differences:
1. I drive the Boxster must faster around the bends (why buy one if you don't).
2. I Probably could have hung on to 10K on the Boxster but I hate driving on marginal tires on any of my cars, cheap insurance to replace then early.
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:02 AM   #5

Ok just checked the tire pressure.
I had 28 and 26 in the rear tires and 26 on the fronts.
Maybe that was the problem?
Old 10-04-2006, 06:18 AM   #6
bmussatti

I have the 19" Carrera Classics with the Mich. PS2's. I am also running nitrogen filled tires.

I run about 34.5 PSI in the rear and 31-32 up front. It is amazing how a 1/2 pound pressure difference impacts the "bite" in the rear end for high speed cornering.

I use a digital tire pressure gage too. Very accurate.

I have 7,100 miles on my tires. 99% highway driving and my tread looks great. When they were new the tread depth was 10/32's all around. At last check, I still had 7/32's in the rear. It is my understanding that the front last much longer.

I expect to get about 15,000 good miles on the rears before replacing.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #7

damn

only 7k miles?? I have a new set waiting to go on when my car comes back from the shop......they sure as hell better go farther than 7k miles!!
220 rating isn't soooo bad. based on looking at the info at tire rack, they are supposed to last longer than the yoko advan neovas........
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecivil
only 7k miles?? I have a new set waiting to go on when my car comes back from the shop......they sure as hell better go farther than 7k miles!!
220 rating isn't soooo bad. based on looking at the info at tire rack, they are supposed to last longer than the yoko advan neovas........

Comparing tire wear is like comparing insurance rates...it all depends on how ya drive!!

I re-measured my tread depts the other day. After 7,100 miles (95% highway and no DE or AutoX's events) I have just under 8/32's remaining on the front and 7/32's on the rear.