Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 04:11 AM   #1
M9G
2002 2.7 Boxster in green

2.7 cold start noise help please

Hi, new here, just got my 986 boxster a couple of days ago and already noticed a little fault that I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help with please.

I'm getting a sort of whopping/seal bark that lasts for about one second on car startup from cold.

Any ideas please

Many thanks

M9G

M9G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #2
Racer Boy

It's common to hear some chain rattle at start-up, but that usually sounds like, well, a chain rattling briefly, not a seal bark.

I'm sure that someone else will chime in with some other ideas.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 07:02 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
It's common to hear some chain rattle at start-up, but that usually sounds like, well, a chain rattling briefly, not a seal bark.

I'm sure that someone else will chime in with some other ideas.
I believe you're correct. I've the same rattle, and I hate it. Just when no longer do I give a **************** about the IMS, the new worry is cam deviation values, lol.

I'm on the fence about new tensioners. The long-timers likely would say with ~125K on the clock to just drive it and shutup.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #4
M9G

Thanks guys, popped into my local garage on way home from work and found out its the starter motor, odd sound for a starter motor but i'll take their word for it.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I believe you're correct. I've the same rattle, and I hate it. Just when no longer do I give a **************** about the IMS, the new worry is cam deviation values, lol.

I'm on the fence about new tensioners. The long-timers likely would say with ~125K on the clock to just drive it and shutup.
My chain rattle disappeared after switching to Shell Rotella T6 a few years ago.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #6

I had same symptoms and pulled my starter motor, took it apart, and re-greased it. The squeal/bark disappeared. I had a normal sounding startup for awhile.

The starter squeals when the starter gets stuck and doesn't recoil fast enough into its housing after the engine starts.

Re: startup rattle - I'm beginning to think some cases of the rattle could actually be related the starter. After I greased my starter I had a normal sounding startup, but with time (6 mos) the car began rattling on cold startup - at the same conditions and for the same duration as the squeal had occurred.

My theory is that my starter is worn (original) and possibly damaged from the previous owner failing to fix the squeal. I think grease might've bought the starter more time but it is still slow to release on startup, hence the rattle. It's also possible I didn't grease it enough/use the right grease.

Edit: 2.5L

Last edited by szube; 09-18-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Edit: 2.5L
szube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
M9G

Quote:
Originally Posted by szube View Post
I had same symptoms and pulled my starter motor, took it apart, and re-greased it. The squeal/bark disappeared. I had a normal sounding startup for awhile.

The starter squeals when the starter gets stuck and doesn't recoil fast enough into its housing after the engine starts.

Re: startup rattle - I'm beginning to think some cases of the rattle could actually be related the starter. After I greased my starter I had a normal sounding startup, but with time (6 mos) the car began rattling on cold startup - at the same conditions and for the same duration as the squeal had occurred.

My theory is that my starter is worn (original) and possibly damaged from the previous owner failing to fix the squeal. I think grease might've bought the starter more time but it is still slow to release on startup, hence the rattle. It's also possible I didn't grease it enough/use the right grease.

Edit: 2.5L

Cool thanks, ive decided just to replace it, job done then
Old 09-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
My chain rattle disappeared after switching to Shell Rotella T6 a few years ago.
I'll try that next oil change. That stuff isn't inexpensive. Less expensive than tensioners. Still.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #9

PW,..what type of oil 20-50 ??
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:19 PM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Sorry, I misspoke.

It was lifter tick, not chain rattle, but I’ve heard of similar results with chain rattle.
I went with 5w40 based on a recommendation, but that really depends on your climate.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:25 PM   #11
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
I'll try that next oil change. That stuff isn't inexpensive. Less expensive than tensioners. Still.
I don’t remember it being terrible. I bought a big 2.5 gallon/10 quart jug for $50.

Edit: just checked and Walmart still has them for $49.97...not much different than Mobil1.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:21 PM   #12

If its chain rattle,.(.which mine does once after the 1st start) ,..why dos'nt it do it everytime you start the car if the internal parts were bad or maybe worn a little it should kinda always do it,.but if its only the 1st start should it not be the tensioner's because they have time to bleed off or maybe the oil is a little to thin..?? Its just annoying
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
If its chain rattle,.(.which mine does once after the 1st start) ,..why dos'nt it do it everytime you start the car if the internal parts were bad or maybe worn a little it should kinda always do it,.but if its only the 1st start should it not be the tensioner's because they have time to bleed off or maybe the oil is a little to thin..?? Its just annoying
Not only the tensioner's bleeding off.
But also the lifters bleeding down over time.
A little tensioner pad wear, a little chain stretch, a little this a little that and you have slack in the chains.
Start the car, oil pressure pumps everything back up. No noise tell everything bleeds down again.

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote