Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #1

I have a GHL Muffler with missing support hangers

I recently swapped in a 3.2L Engine into a 2.7L 986 that I bought with a blown engine. The swap went well and the car runs. I am now trying to reinstall the muffler that came with the car. It is a GHL Exhaust. Originally, the exhaust was not supported by anything and it was just connected to the midpipe. I imagine this must have put a lot of stress on the headers/engine having to support the entire exhaust. It turns out that the support studs on the muffler that mount to the bracket on the transaxle are cut off. Does anyone have access to a GHL muffler? If so, could you take some measurements of how high the stud sits? I can compensate you in beer money.

Picture of my exhaust

Picture of support that is cut off (taken from the internet and I added in red what I am looking for):

Thanks!

JustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 01:33 AM   #2

I have a GHL muffler laying around somewhere , I will find it and snap a pic or two of the mounting studs and their length .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I have a GHL muffler laying around somewhere , I will find it and snap a pic or two of the mounting studs and their length .
Figures a PPOT guy saves my back! Thanks
Old 08-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Dug the muffler out today will get some pics tomorrow . You just need to know the height ?
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
Old 08-30-2019, 03:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Dug the muffler out today will get some pics tomorrow . You just need to know the height ?
I'd like to know the distance from the top of the stud to the bottom of the bracket where it is welded on the muffler (A)

The distance from the stud to each end of the bracket (B)

and the distance from the stud to the bracket itself (C)

Thanks!!!

Old 08-30-2019, 09:01 AM   #6

Still waiting for two pics to load in my email , our internet in the mountains is basically two Dixie cups and some string Any way here are 3 pics to get started , the pics are all with the exhaust tips facing you . The 1st pic is from the left edge of the left muffler can to the left mounting bolt . The 2nd pic is the dimension from the left bolt to the right bolt , the tape measure was held on the outside edge of the left bolt . The 3rd pic is the distance from the left side of the right muffler can to the right mounting bolt . I have 2 more pics to list just waiting for them to load . Hope this helps .

Old 08-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Still waiting for two pics to load in my email , our internet in the mountains is basically two Dixie cups and some string Any way here are 3 pics to get started , the pics are all with the exhaust tips facing you . The 1st pic is from the left edge of the left muffler can to the left mounting bolt . The 2nd pic is the dimension from the left bolt to the right bolt , the tape measure was held on the outside edge of the left bolt . The 3rd pic is the distance from the left side of the right muffler can to the right mounting bolt . I have 2 more pics to list just waiting for them to load . Hope this helps .

Thank you!! Thats very useful. Do you by any chance have the length of the stud to the bottom of the muffler?
Old 08-30-2019, 12:26 PM   #8

Here are the last two pics which I think clarify your follow up question .

Old 08-31-2019, 04:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Here are the last two pics which I think clarify your follow up question .

Thank you!
Old 08-31-2019, 10:47 AM   #10

Glad I could help .