Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 04:51 AM   #1

Coolant tank leak

Well.....no sooner than I just replaced my 20 year old water pump my 20 year old coolant tank has sprung a leak too. So now it's in the shop for a genuine Porsche tank. As I've said before, I'm not a DIY guy so I "pay the piper". My indi Porsche shop quoted me $1,000 total out the door. Yes, I know I could spend less doing it myself but that's not happening. I'm lucky though, because over it's 20 years and 85,000 miles the water pump and the cooling tank are the only major repair expenses I've had.

Question: Can someone tell me what the "typical" instrument panel temp guage should be reading once the car is up to temperature. The attached pic is typical when my car is up to temp....about 195 degrees....in urban driving.

Last edited by Rob175; 08-22-2019 at 04:57 AM.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #2

Garage
That's where my '99 runs.
Sorry to hear of your problem. Mine just did that a few weeks ago, but 300 miles from home and about the top of a mountain pass. The tow was half as much as the repair! You'll feel better now that it's done.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #3

Thanks, glad to know the temp indicator is "normal" when up to temp. I only drive the car in the summer and store it in the winter. We enjoy the top-down summer drives and IF it costs me a few bucks now to keep it running ...so be it! Cosmetically, the car is perfect inside and out. I "clay" the paint twice a year and it's always waxed and covered when not in use....btw, it never sees rain...lol. From what I've read the 98's seldom if ever suffer IMS failure so that's comforting. My plan is to keep the car as long as I can.....lol....In Illinois, a 25 year old car can be plated as an "expanded-antique".....that's the plan!

Last edited by Rob175; 08-22-2019 at 05:46 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #4

Garage
Sorry

I'm surprised they haven't come up with a Porsche tax! You are having far too much fun.
I left many years ago, and would never, ever, return. Enjoy the Boxster, though!
Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #5

Garage
With new WP and low temp thermo, hot weather hwy driving the needle is just at the right side of the 180 marker above the 8. In 75 degree and below temps, the needle is just at the left of the 180 marker. My fan comes on in stop and go in between the 8 and 0. The gauge isn't that accurate. I also use a Blue tooth sender in ODBII and an app on my phone to read the temps. So when fan comes on its around 212-215, again gauge just after the 8.
From your gauge pictured I would think your fans are running.

Last edited by kk2002s; 08-22-2019 at 10:59 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #6

My 99 ran about this temp also. After installing a new water pump the temp is right on the 180 degree mark. If I'm stuck in traffic it will go up a bit, but once I'm cruising again it goes back down to 180.
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:49 AM   #7

I'm guessing that after they finish with the new coolant tank install the temp might be a bit lower. With the old tank, when the system got hot and the tank became pressurized, the spider cracks in the tank would expand, drip coolant and system pressure would be reduced........once that happened, I bet the cooling capability of the system was reduced.