Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #1

Pulley Numbers?

So I started hearing a bad bearing noise from one of the pulleys. From what I remember when I changed the water pump, the tensioner pulley I believe was a little loud. Considering mileage on car 150k+, I think it's better to swap out all 3 pulleys if possible. Does anyone have the part number for the 2 idler pulleys and tensioner pulley? Does the tensioner pulley have to be ordered as one unit or can the pulley be replaced separately and if so, any special tools needed?

redciv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #2

Illustration 101-10 from the parts catalog will give you the part numbers you need.
As for actually finding/buying them, I'm not so sure. You may be able to just pop them off and clean or replace the bearings.
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
A Porsche Guy

You can replace the bearing to save the most money. You will need to buy the bearings and use a bearing puller. But if you want to replace the idle pulleys, there are three in total. Use the guide from pelicans.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/17-ENGINE-Idler_Pullies/17-ENGINE-Idler_Pullies.htm

If you want to replace the bearing only, Ben Burner on Youtube has an excellent video on how to do it. To find the model # to replace the bearing, you should take out the idle pulleys to confirm the right part.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #4

Hey 1. I appreciate the information. I used Burner's alternator video and it saved me alot of time with that long bolt. I bought a set of 3 jaw pullers from HF, could those be used to pull the bearing?
Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
A Porsche Guy

Yes you can. Ben Burner did so using a 12 ton 3 jaw gear puller. He used a spacer/socket to push the old/new bearing into the idle pulley. He has a video on how to do so and you will get the idea how it was done. I haven't perform the replacement yet but when I do that video will be a reference. He used the same gear puller to replace the AC clutch bearing using a socket to push the new bearing in. It's too bad he doesn't create new content anymore.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 08-21-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

I appreciate the info. Any info on the bearing used?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #7

You can change the bearing, but if they aren’t installed perfectly you will run into problems very quickly. The job is very easy, but the tensioner pully bolt is a little fiddly. I did all three last week. I just replaced the entire unit. Took less than an hour.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:43 AM   #8
A Porsche Guy

You can check out the blog from Ben he provided in his video to see what bearing he ordered. The bearings should all be the same. He advised to pull out the bearings first to check for the part # so you don't order the wrong part. Geo is right that the bearing should be installed properly (flushed in right) otherwise you will run into issues.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #9

Well the bearing noise is not the pulleys, but the water pump...4 month old water pump 😠. Needless to say, I ordered an OEM pump this morning. Enough for saving dollars. Lucky, just making noise.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by redciv1 View Post
Well the bearing noise is not the pulleys, but the water pump...4 month old water pump 😠. Needless to say, I ordered an OEM pump this morning. Enough for saving dollars. Lucky, just making noise.
So frustrating! I feel for you, man!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:41 PM   #11

Thanks Piper. The amazing part is that I've been working on wife's car for over a month now changing rear hub. Now down to 1 vehicle. Ready to get this pump replaced.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redciv1 View Post
Thanks Piper. The amazing part is that I've been working on wife's car for over a month now changing rear hub. Now down to 1 vehicle. Ready to get this pump replaced.
Don’t just do “OEM” for the water pump... Porsche factory part...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Don’t just do “OEM” for the water pump... Porsche factory part...
If you have money to throw away...

From what I've read, Pierberg makes the Porsche branded water pumps, so they're the same pumps. Why spend more money just for the Porsche stamp?

I used a Pierberg when I changed mine, and I couldn't find any difference whatsoever between the original pump and the Pierberg.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:04 AM   #14
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
If you have money to throw away...

From what I've read, Pierberg makes the Porsche branded water pumps, so they're the same pumps. Why spend more money just for the Porsche stamp?

I used a Pierberg when I changed mine, and I couldn't find any difference whatsoever between the original pump and the Pierberg.
Likewise. Pierberg.

If it's connected to the engine... OEM only.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Likewise. Pierberg.

If it's connected to the engine... OEM only.
I went straight for Pierburg when I ordered 😁.