Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM   #1
2003 Boxster

CDR23 and a DENISON

Evening all.
When i bought my 986 (a year ago) it came complete with the CDR23 and behind it is Denison Gateway 500 MOST unit. In the armrest there is a crappy USB and a IPhone cable....... under the glovebox is a AUX box.

So... it charges my phone and thats about that. The USB doesn’t work. I have no clue how to ‘find’ the phone via the CDR23 as it has no mode/aux button.

The question has been asked if its been taken to Porsche for them to tell the car to find a CD changer (which I don’t have but that doesn’t matter).

If i do this, will the CDR23 automatically know/start behaving as if it recognises the iphone??

Ive had it in a few garages with software but they havent a clue what to do to activate it.

PORSCHE have said... “ we’ll look at it for an hour booking = £160”

Any solutions out there porsche people????? Cheers

Leo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:01 PM   #2

I don't think the CDR 23 is going to be able to find the phone and going to the Porsche dealer will be a waste of time and money. The CDR 23 wasn't designed for this and the Porsche dealer isn't going to know anything about the Denison Gateway. I think you have a better shot for progress if you contact Denison or see what they have in terms of online support. Now that I've said all that, please note this is my speculation, I have no expertise in this area.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:17 PM   #3

Garage
For the Dension Gateway to work correctly the car has to have the cd changer enabled with a Piwis or PST2. Try plugging your iphone into the phone cable and press the CD button on the front of the CDR23. That should switch to CD Changer mode which is what the Dension Gateway replicates to work with the CDR23. Complete instructions on Dension website
Old 08-20-2019, 05:17 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
That should switch to CD Changer mode which is what the Dension Gateway replicates to work with the CDR23. Complete instructions on Dension website
What he said. My 03 S has the Dension Gateway that I plug my iPod (yes I still have an iPod) into. Press the CD button while the iPod or iPhone is plugged in and it should give you a connection.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
2003 Boxster

Thanks for all the replies.
Ive tried the CD button but it just activates the actual CD.
The connection lead is for the iPhone but only seems to charge the phone only.

I think someone has installed it but then not bothered getting the CD CHANGER part activated, but then i think, if going to that trouble surely you’d want to complete the job!...... i’ll Keep trying.
Leo G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #6

The Dension mimics (or replaces) the CD changer [not CD player] to get it to operate (mostly correctly). Need to make sure changer is set to active in the CDR23 first AND ensure the Dension control box is NOT in bypass mode so check the switch too (on Dension unit or remote cable).

FYI - even if you do get it activated to work for music, you will need the additional bluetooth module to make it work w/ the 'phone' portion of your phone... I put one in my 2006 997 C2S but it's been gone for a couple years so I forget all the nuances...

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 08-27-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote