Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #1

replacing starter and air oil separator which to do first?

Hello all......my 2001 Box base needs a new starter and an air oil separator. I have them both in the mail to arrive tomorrow. My question is this....Since they are in near proximity of each other......which should I replace first to give me an advantage of replacing the other part???? Or maybe it doesnt matter???? This will be the first time un earthing my engine and cracking her open so I am not familiar other then the videos that I have watched.
Thanks

Box7774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box7774 View Post
Hello all......my 2001 Box base needs a new starter and an air oil separator. I have them both in the mail to arrive tomorrow. My question is this....Since they are in near proximity of each other......which should I replace first to give me an advantage of replacing the other part???? Or maybe it doesnt matter???? This will be the first time un earthing my engine and cracking her open so I am not familiar other then the videos that I have watched.
Thanks
I've pulled both. Replaced the AOS. Examined the starter.

I believe with the starter removed, and the nearby parts to access it, it would be easier to replace the AOS.

Note: Remove the rear wheel for easier access. IMHO... an over/under AOS replacement is more efficient.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

The common point between replacing the starter and the AOS is that they are both a PITA.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies.....so .....so far remove the starter first
Old 08-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #5

Take out the starter, then take out the AOS. Pull the AOS out from the top, but disconnect the bottom parts from the wheel well. Install the AOS, then install the starter.
bekks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #6

From the wheel well ......ok I have read to remove the wheel for better access......I was thinking this was better access from underneath. I havent given it a good look yet because the part still hasnt been delivered....but it would be great if I can reach in through the wheel well.....the vids I have watched have all noted its a tricky install.....I am motivated and ready.....just need the dang part...Amazon has me spoiled...now if shipping takes longer then 48 hours I get impatient.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #7

Neither are hard...just takes time. Make sure you have the remote clamp tool for the aos.
patssle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:10 AM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by patssle View Post
Neither are hard...just takes time. Make sure you have the remote clamp tool for the aos.
That! ^^^ And... patience. Slow, sure, and steady wins the race.

That "remote" clamp? Yup. Makes the project a, no pun intended, snap.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That! ^^^ And... patience. Slow, sure, and steady wins the race.

That "remote" clamp? Yup. Makes the project a, no pun intended, snap.
It does! And the old AOS is a snap to get out. My top little bolt (the one with parts in front of it) wouldn't come out, it had those funny, not so much, bolts that require a special socket wouldn't come out. I gave up and pried on the old aos hard enough to break it--then yanked it out bellow and all. Not good manners, but I was planning on tossing it anyhow. Maybe, if I grow skinny armor plated fingers and longer skinnier arms, I'll bolt the new AOS down.

Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote