Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 02:41 PM   #1

Just bought a Boxster S at auction today with NO KEYS :(

Hi All,
I bought an '03 Boxster today at an auction and although it needs a bit of work its overall a very clean car according to the inspector that checked it out for me.

Unfortunately some jerk stole the key, so now i have to get a new one.

Does anyone know what is the best way to get one made? I called the dealer, they have to order it and then i have to tow the car there which sucks.

I've heard of mobile key programmers that come to you to program it which seems less of a hassle.

If anyone had experience in getting a key made i'd love to hear about it and what the best option is.

THanks!

9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Your options are limited and it’s going to cost a minimum of $500.

1) Buy a used matched set of keys, lock cylinders, immobilizer and DME, then install.

2) Tow it to the dealer and keep a bottle of personal lubricant handy.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:55 PM   #3

Garage
You should be able to get a valet key from the dealer with just the VIN, and while it will not have the full key fob function, it will save you the tow fee when you take it in to get the fob reprogrammed.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:18 PM   #4

I called and the guy said about 600 so i like your estimate better
lol at point #2
Old 08-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

There are no good or inexpensive options. As Particlewave said, its a $500+ problem no matter what you do.

Its fairly easy to get the physical key shank cut to fit the ignition switch.

The hard part is electronic where the transmitter inside the key fob, the ECU (aka DME), and the immobilizer all need to be programmed with the same security code or the engine won't turn over. Only dealers and a few independent shops have the test equipment to do this programming and they typically charge $250 - $400. And that does NOT include the cost of a new key.

PW mentioned buying a used matched (pre-programmed) set of key transmitter, ECU, and immobilizer and swapping them in but that will cost about the same as buying a new key and having it programmed to match the ECU and immobilizer.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
You should be able to get a valet key from the dealer with just the VIN, and while it will not have the full key fob function, it will save you the tow fee when you take it in to get the fob reprogrammed.
Thanks for the tip but the car isn't road worthy yet so can't be driven. Im hearing a lot about these mobile key makers & programmers and contacted a few to see what they have to say.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
There are no good or inexpensive options. As Particlewave said, its a $500+ problem no matter what you do.

The hard part is electronic where the transmitter inside the key fob, the ECU (aka DME), and the immobilizer all need to be programmed with the same security code or the engine won't turn over. Only dealers and a few independent shops have the test equipment to do this programming and they typically charge $250 - $400. And that does NOT include the cost of a new key.

PW mentioned buying a used matched (pre-programmed) set of key transmitter, ECU, and immobilizer and swapping them in but that will cost about the same as buying a new key and having it programmed to match the ECU and immobilizer.
Great info thank you.

Any idea what the dealer charges for a new key? I'd really like to then get an idependant that knows what he's doing to program the dealer key on site. I checked and towing will cost $400 for both ways.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:43 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Dealers charge anywhere from $150 to $250 for the key itself, then the time to program the car to accept it. The going rate, all in, usually runs right around $500.

You can buy new key heads online for $125 last time I checked, but you’ll still need to have a blade cut (and most dealers will not program a key that you brought in yourself).
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post

Yea, that seems too much trouble. I'll probably just get a key cut at the dealer and use them or find a shop that can do it and come to my location.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Dealers charge anywhere from $150 to $250 for the key itself, then the time to program the car to accept it. The going rate, all in, usually runs right around $500.

You can buy new key heads online for $125 last time I checked, but you’ll still need to have a blade cut (and most dealers will not program a key that you brought in yourself).
Thanks. I think it would be the safest to buy the key from the dealer first then go from there.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:23 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9864ever View Post
... I checked and towing will cost $400 for both ways.
CAA membership with towing is a lot less than that.. and you should be able to drive it home, maybe.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:45 AM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
CAA membership with towing is a lot less than that.. and you should be able to drive it home, maybe.
What he said. A 1 year CAA membership will cost about 120.00. Way less than a single tow.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #13

1) Buy both the transponder and the blades on pelican parts for about $190 in total.
2) Have a mobile locksmith cut the blades on the key.
3) Tow the car to the dealership and let them know ahead of time you don't have a key so they can drop the car in the service bay.
4) 1 hr of labor to program key/keys.
(You can't program these from anyone other than Porsche - Dealer labor is anywhere between $160-$190/hr here in florida.
tsiemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 07:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiemian View Post
1) Buy both the transponder and the blades on pelican parts for about $190 in total.
2) Have a mobile locksmith cut the blades on the key.
3) Tow the car to the dealership and let them know ahead of time you don't have a key so they can drop the car in the service bay.
4) 1 hr of labor to program key/keys.
(You can't program these from anyone other than Porsche - Dealer labor is anywhere between $160-$190/hr here in florida.
Thanks. Wouldnt it work out price-wise the same to get the key from the dealer though?
Old 08-09-2019, 08:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
Hmmm... never thought of that. I do have a CAA membership but I wonder if they would tow the car when I don't even have it plated or have the ownership tranferred over yet... will need to find out.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #16

Garage
Just bought a spare key for my '02 Boxster S. Key was $330, programming $150 at my local Porsche dealer. It is what it is.
Subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:04 PM   #17
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiemian View Post

I've programmed several keys with my PST2
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9864ever View Post
I called and the guy said about 600 so i like your estimate better
lol at point #2
Welcome to the Canadian premium. Multiply anything our southern friends say by at least 1.25...
Old 08-25-2019, 07:48 PM   #19

OP, if I understand correctly during / after the auction the key(s) was (were) stolen. That means they are "out there". If it were me I'd go with the suggestion of re-keying the car with a different set of keys (and lock cylinder / locks) given that some posters suggest the cost is the same as obtaining a new existing key. It just seems too easy in this day and age for someone to figure out who bought the car and their address and then take the car. Call me paranoid but I absolutely can't sleep if I know keys for something of mine are "out there".

Best of luck.