Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2019, 06:10 AM   #1
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Now THAT’s a smoke bomb!

Just back from my first track day since I blew up my engine last September. New motor ran well with a couple of incidents. I am using the MantisSport deep sump and I had slightly overfilled the oil. On my second session, I was starting to push it (new motor and all). Suddenly boom, I look in the mirror and see nothing but smoke. I pulled off the track thinking «oh darn», I’ve blown another engine! However, it was still running with no apparent problems so I signalled the flagger to go back on track. Then I saw the red flags were out so I immediately pulled back off the track thinking, oh no, there’s been a crash! So the ambulance comes by me then stops, backs up and stops beside me! They get out, fire extinguishers in hand and want me to open the hood! Sorry to have caused so much consternation guys, but I’m not on fire!
Next session went fine after removing a good half litre of oil. Running oil at the half way mark seems to be the key. Wish that motorsport AOS wasn’t so damned expensive!

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:38 AM   #2

check out the 996 forum on rennlist - a couple of interesting threads on the aos and alternatives (ie, venting the aos to the air box).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #3

I accidentally overfilled my oil before my first track day and blew a huge smoke bomb just like that

I dropped the oil filter to remove a little oil, and since then have filled halfway (with my LN Deep sump I put in 10 liters of oil that takes me right up to halfway). Toward the end I experimented with running it a little fuller but discovered that it pretty quickly goes back to half due to oil ingenstion through the AOS (presumably) and that half seems to be the sweet spot.

Still on the same AOS nearly 100 track days later
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I accidentally overfilled my oil before my first track day and blew a huge smoke bomb just like that

I dropped the oil filter to remove a little oil, and since then have filled halfway (with my LN Deep sump I put in 10 liters of oil that takes me right up to halfway). Toward the end I experimented with running it a little fuller but discovered that it pretty quickly goes back to half due to oil ingenstion through the AOS (presumably) and that half seems to be the sweet spot.

Still on the same AOS nearly 100 track days later
Actually, it may have been you that put me on to that half way solution. I have no idea why I moved away from that this past event.
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #5
Racer Boy

Before I figured out why my car was producing huge smoke bombs (it turned out to be passenger side scavenging pump was incorrectly indexed), I went to a track day at Pacific Raceways near Seattle and didn't even get through the first lap before they red-flagged the session. They thought I had blown the engine and oiled down the track.

Embarrassing to say the least.

Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote