Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2019, 07:03 AM   #1

garage flooring

I'm refinishing my 3 + car garage and want input on garage floor options. I really like the idea of "Race Deck" tiles and was wondering if anyone has used them. My concern is reports of tenting under direct sunlight. I want to avoid epoxy coatings because I believe they tend to peel over time. My concrete garage floor is in good condition and I wouldn't be opposed to etching it and using a high gloss sealer but it will have a less finished look. What do you guys use?

jesseborgelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #2

I used some I bought off amazon snap in come in squares of 4, work great for my application. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753TBG7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Graragetrac comes in various colors.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseborgelt View Post
I'm refinishing my 3 + car garage and want input on garage floor options. I really like the idea of "Race Deck" tiles and was wondering if anyone has used them. My concern is reports of tenting under direct sunlight. I want to avoid epoxy coatings because I believe they tend to peel over time. My concrete garage floor is in good condition and I wouldn't be opposed to etching it and using a high gloss sealer but it will have a less finished look. What do you guys use?
etch and seal, you can even oput a little color in and let it look rustic AND you never have to worry about it. It looks pretty cool also, I mean after all, its a garage!
IMHO, epoxy coatings are a disaster...everyone I have ever seen peel up, sooner or later. Then it s a real mess.
the tiles, why?
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
I used some I bought off amazon snap in come in squares of 4, work great for my application. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0753TBG7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Graragetrac comes in various colors.
Interesting, the sellers pics look good.. How about a pic of yours? Downsides?
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Interesting, the sellers pics look good.. How about a pic of yours? Downsides?
I can try for a pic this week end. I did a blue and silver checker pattern. Only down side so far is i accidentally let my foot slip off the clutch the quick jump caused the floor to slip a little since its not anchored. It has some water channels under it also. I installed the whole thing in 3 hours or less.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
etch and seal, you can even oput a little color in and let it look rustic AND you never have to worry about it. It looks pretty cool also, I mean after all, its a garage!
IMHO, epoxy coatings are a disaster...everyone I have ever seen peel up, sooner or later. Then it s a real mess.
the tiles, why?
I did tiles just to dress up the floor lol the one i installed are oil resistant mop up easily. I don't have enough room to do any real mechanic work. Plus if i get tired of the color i can take them up. The extras i put together under my sons drums to keep the from moving lol
Old 06-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #7

Installed ceramic tiles 4 years ago. Very happy with it. Spare a few one in case you drop something. Like Cunningr said.... a charm to maintain. I can lift a car with a floor jack with no problems. Cost less than a dollar per sqr foot. Choose porcelain tiles cat 5. When installing, make sure you glue both side (tile-floor) with no air pockets.

Last edited by pomerlo; 06-27-2019 at 06:01 PM.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #8

Well here is a pic of my floor it is removable.
Name:  GaragePic.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  51.4 KB
Old 06-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomerlo View Post
Installed ceramic tiles 4 years ago. Very happy with it. Spare a few one in case you drop something. Like Cunningr said.... a charm to maintain. I can lift a car with a floor jack with no problems. Cost less than a dollar per sqr foot. Choose porcelain tiles cat 5. When installing, make sure you glue both side (tile-floor) with no air pockets.

That is a nice floor. I'm assuming the grout has been treated... chemical and waterproofed.

$1 per square foot. Including tile, glue/adhesive and grout? Labor?

Again, nice floor.
Old 06-28-2019, 09:23 AM   #10

Absolutely no treatment. Choose a grout color that is dark enough. I have spilled motor oil on the grout many time.... Once cleaned with a rag you cannot tell.

This floor is abused heavily. During winter time my wife's car is in. And because of the harsh winter, the floor is always full of mod, salt stones..... and if that is not enough she have studded winter tyres.... Once in a while rinse with a hose and thats it

Yes less than a buck including grout and glue..... I did it myself... I paid the tile 0.65 cents each 12.5 X 12.5 inches.... watch leftover/end of line sales.

This is an example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Daltile-Catalina-Canyon-Noce-12-in-x-12-in-Porcelain-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-15-sq-ft-case-LV021212HD1P6/203233529
If you shop around, you'll certainly find the right color.
Again choose a commercial grade porcelain.

Last edited by pomerlo; 06-28-2019 at 10:31 AM.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:50 PM   #11

Garage

I polished and sealed the concrete slab on the garage and love it! It's bulletproof and easy to clean.
Boleador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Well here is a pic of my floor it is removable.
Attachment 21973
Nice 👌👌👌👌👌👌
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 11:45 AM   #13
Will there be cake?

Garage
boleador...that's the way to go, looks awesome. I also think that little cracks and stains even make the floor look better, more interesting.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:46 PM   #14

I have professionally done epoxy and its been perfect for 8 years. No signs of peeling at all. Love it
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesseborgelt View Post

1st thing I do when I buy a new garage is paint the floor with Rustoleum Tan Epoxy paint. Follow the instructions & never had a problem, no peeling. If a bolt hits the floor it's easy to see.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
1st thing I do when I buy a new garage is paint the floor with Rustoleum Tan Epoxy paint. Follow the instructions & never had a problem, no peeling. If a bolt hits the floor it's easy to see.
I did this too and after many hours researching (Garage Journal Forum is a great place to go for this - https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

I ended up with the Rustoleum kit, and ordered from my local 'big box' hardware store, but special ordered the 'professional series' kit instead of the standard one. It is solvent based instead of water based and is a bit thicker and tougher. I did two coats, waiting the required time in between and then finished with a clear coat as well. It has held up perfectly over 6 years. The biggest thing (like any painting project) was the prep work. I rented a diamond floor sanding machine from HD as I did not want to use a chemical or acid wash for two reasons. First my driveway is also painted (by previous home owner) and second I wanted to keep the garage concrete dry so that I would not have to wait additional days for it to dry out. That is critical for any coating- the surface must be dry. You can do a quick test by taping some clear visquine or thick clear plastic over a 1'X 1' section of your floor and if any moisture comes up over a 24 hour period you need to continue to let it dry.
Anyway, I was happy with my results and proved to myself that you can get a quality finish with 'home based' products from a do it yourself store, if you do good prep and maybe spend a few extra dollars on the higher grade coatings. Good luck with yours.

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote