Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 11:32 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonko The Sane
No, unfortunately I did not... I ended up ordering all four from Advance Auto Parts, getting bosche replacements... it cost $250 or so... I think that it may be an issue with the DME 2.5.5 (the one running the 2.5L engines). I don't have any real way of knowing/checking, though. if you want to try em, I can sell you the set for $100... I still have them sitting in their boxes.
did you buy them online or in the store? i did some searching and all four of them come out to about $480.00, did your problem go away with the bosch replacements?

yfz/700R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:18 AM   #42

Sorry, it looks like I was off by $100... it cost me $360. I got these ones: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=BOS&MfrPartNumber=15738&PartType=291&PTSet=A

They fixed the problem that the cheap sensors caused (all of the codes), and they made my car drive a bit nicer (smoother off the line and such), as well as increased my MPG by aboot 2. They did not fix my original CEL that I'm still trying to track down, unfortunately.

They needed replaced on my car anyway, so I'm not too let down that it didn't cure my original problem. They were definately the same ones that shipped with the car 10 years and 100k miles ago, so it was time for an overhaul of em.

I would steer clear of the generics until someone finds out what's going on with them with the 2.5L engines. I don't know if BinaryC and I just had bad luck, or if it's something incompatible with the DME...

Was anyone able to use these with a 2.5L engine successfully?
Wonko The Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
Not all universal 4 wire sensors are the same.

The bank 1 after cat sensor on my 1997 has been replaced 3 times. Every 2 years it gets replaced because every 2 years it is time for a smog inspection. The replacements were the Bosch sensor sold by the dealer with the plug on the end.

This year I decided to go with a Walker made sensor, as I had it with Bosch. Walker makes several universal 4 wires sensors, but not for a 986. The only 986 sensor Walker makes is the "direct fit" which simply means it had the plug on the end.

Yet on ebay there was someone selling a Walker universal sensor for a Boxster for $20, but the seller could not give me the part number so I could look it up in the Walker catalog. Because if you look in the Walker catalog is says that the Boxster universal sensor is N/A. I then emailed Walker and an engineer explained why Walker did not sell a universal for the Boxster, only the direct fit.

So I bought the Walker direct fit on ebay for $109 plus $9 to ship.

I had checked out the Bosch universal sensor - but I had it with Bosch.

I should have the Walker sensor in the mail the next day or so. Will be interesting to see if it works and if it does for how long.

How well did the Walker sensor work?
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #44

I find all this information great (as usual) when I have to replace my O2 sensors but when do I replace them? I've just read that the sensors should be replaced every 30k, every 60k and every 100k. I have 64k on my 2001 and since I'm changing the fuel filter, spark plugs, serpentine belt and air filter should I be concern about replacing the O2 sensors as well or wait awhile?
spgribben007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #45

I have a 99' with the 2.5 and I just replaced all 4 o2 sensors with the cheap ones mentioned on this thread (USOS 4000) and I'm having problems similar to the other guys with the 2.5 engines

Before I was getting:
p0134 (no activity detected bank 1 o2 sensor)

The error codes I'm getting now are:
p0131
p0151
p0137
p0157
and
p1115
p1119
p1117
p1127

The errors all have to do with low voltage and heating on all 4 of the o2 sensors. I double checked the wiring and they match up as they should. The guage of the wiring on the cheap o2 sensors is a lot smaller than the OEM, so maybe that has something to do with why the don't work.

Larez2
larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #46

I could never figure out what caused the error, unfortunately... I ended up getting a set of Bosche replacements at high cost from Advance Auto since my car wasn't running well with the generics.. . I think it may have something to do with the 2.5.5 DME running the 2.5L engines.. According to this thread, it's all the newer people who have had success with these cheapies...

If anyone wants to by the cheapies from me, I'm sellin' em for $100 shipped, less than 300 miles on them.

Good luck with yours
Wonko The Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #47

How are the generic O2 sensors doing?

Hey DeliriousGA,
Any updates on the O2 sensors since? Are they still OK? I have a 2000 2.7L with the P0130 CEL. Need you update before I purchase...Thank you in advance.

Zuffen
Zuffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #48

My '02S is approaching 70k, so I'm anticipating replacement of the O2 sensors in the near future. Taking a chance on generics that I'll have to rig the wiring on doesn't sound appealing, and is penny wise, pound foolish in my book.

I came across these "OEM type" sensors with the correct plugs for a very competitive $339.97+shipping for a set of 4. Yeah, they're 2x + the price of the cheapies, but they're plug and play. I have no connection to the company.

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/15182.html

Gary

gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote