Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2023, 01:46 PM   #1

Struggling with doing a wheel bearing.

Hey guys, I'm needing to do the rear wheel bearing on my Boxster and it's becoming an incredibly taxing experience. I'm looking for some help/words of encouragement.

Here is where I am at so far: the brake rotor is off, the axel is disconnected, and the axel nut is off. According to the only YouTube video I can find of someone else doing this job I need to disconnect the tow link and control arm. I'm working on the tow link right now and it does not want to budge. I'm limited to hand tools and PB Blaster right now and I don't feel like I'm making progress.

Here is the "tutorial" I'm following. https://youtu.be/FcN3SQ_0ZWU?si=YGOUpz-jNfhV08P8

Any help is appreciated.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:14 PM   #2

So, I tried some persuasion with a hammer and it did nothing. I thought I should step away for a minute and decided to put the old nut back on just so it doesn't grow legs. Whelp, my banging messed up the threads and now I can't get the nut back on. Delightful.
Old 11-07-2023, 08:06 PM   #3

Garage
Post #4 in this thread explains how I did it in my car without removing the suspension.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/79471-my-boxster-journey.html
You do have to remove the drive shaft, it can be pushed out of the bearing using a standard puller. Hook the arms of the puller on the hub flange, then tighten the screw of the puller against the center of the half shaft and it will push the half-shaft in through the bearing.
Then remove the hub...
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/81070-my-home-made-hub-puller.html#post638442
(if you don't have my hub puller (which you don't because the only one in existence is still in my garage) other methods are mentioned in the thread).
Then a bearing puller to pull the bearing.
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:43 AM   #4

I've done replaced every bearing, suspension arm and axle axle at least twice on my car. These tools are indispensable for the job:
1. Hub puller
2. Ball joint separator not just any one. Some don't have a low enough profile to get the Porsche joints.
3. Wheel bearing removal tool.
Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 08:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wret View Post
I've done replaced every bearing, suspension arm and axle axle at least twice on my car. These tools are indispensable for the job:
1. Hub puller
2. Ball joint separator not just any one. Some don't have a low enough profile to get the Porsche joints.
3. Wheel bearing removal tool.
Thanks for this! Any suggestions regarding the hub puller? All the ones I am seeing for sale assume that the car has wheel studs. Will I be able to tighten the lug studs down far enough or do I need a different kind of tool?
Old 11-27-2023, 03:41 PM   #6

OK guys, this is becoming really frustrating for me and I'm hoping a short video will help. I've been trying to do this job for (checks transaction history) 33 days and I just want to drive my car again.

https://youtu.be/Sn_vj-lRJZA?si=BqNrBsApvf0c7kX3

I hope this video is helpful in diagnosing what I need to do to finish this job.

Also, thanks to those who have already chimed in and helped out! This community is fantastic and I'm super appreciative of everyone here.
Old 11-28-2023, 09:30 AM   #7

Garage
I haven't done this particular job but a plausible next step seems to be removing the driveshaft completely. On mine it came out easily when I rebuilt the CV joints, I just had to tap the end of the shaft gently and it slided out (in). Put the nut back onto the shaft so you avoid hitting the thread accidentally. Then you will need to separate the ball joint with a matching ball joint separator. Then I think the whole bearing carrier unit should slide down. When you are at this point, I'd take the the whole unit to a shop to get them replace the bearing because it requires a press. Also, if it took you 33 days to get this far, you'll save yourself a whole bunch of time if you let them do it.
Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickanator8 View Post
OK guys, this is becoming really frustrating for me and I'm hoping a short video will help. I've been trying to do this job for (checks transaction history) 33 days and I just want to drive my car again.

https://youtu.be/Sn_vj-lRJZA?si=BqNrBsApvf0c7kX3

I hope this video is helpful in diagnosing what I need to do to finish this job.

Also, thanks to those who have already chimed in and helped out! This community is fantastic and I'm super appreciative of everyone here.
You need the correct tooling to do this job, including the ball joint tool:

What has taken you as month should have taken 45 min with all the right tools................
Old 11-28-2023, 01:05 PM   #9

Garage
Use a angle grinder to modify your silver ball joint tool. Remove LCA. 👍
Robert986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 07:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You need the correct tooling to do this job, including the ball joint tool:

What has taken you as month should have taken 45 min with all the right tools................
Oh, I'm aware this should have been relatively quick, it's just been a quagmire of confusion finding the correct tools. Thanks for being the first person to tell me what I actually need. I really appreciate it!
Old 11-29-2023, 08:18 AM   #11

There is nothing more frustrating, or time consuming, than trying to do a job without access to the necessary tooling.

And once you get the hub separated from the ball joint, how are you going to get the bearing out? You do not have anything to do that. Some shops would use a simple bearing press:

But a far better method is to use something like the Sir bearing tool, which removes it with the hub still mounted on the car, which we use:

All this stuff cost $, saves time, and gets the job done right in as little time as possible.
Old 11-29-2023, 08:22 AM   #12

HeHe You haven't even got to the hard part yet. Wait till you either have to do the bearing pressing at the care or remove the emergency brake cable so you can do it at the bench. Another few months?
2003 Boxster S with 2008 400+HP L92 with VVT delete, Comp Cam Thumpr, LS3 intake, 42# injectors, Corvette gas pedal and throttlebody, LS7 lifters, double valve springs, heavy push rods, rocker trunnion upgrade. 2009 corvette MAP. 2009 corvette computer.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
There is nothing more frustrating, or time consuming, than trying to do a job without access to the necessary tooling.

And once you get the hub separated from the ball joint, how are you going to get the bearing out? You do not have anything to do that. Some shops would use a simple bearing press:

But a far better method is to use something like the Sir bearing tool, which removes it with the hub still mounted on the car, which we use:

All this stuff cost $, saves time, and gets the job done right in as little time as possible.
I'm more than happy to buy the correct tools to get the job done correctly, it's just been a struggle to find what those tools are. It looks like the bearing removal tool is what I'm going to be ordering next.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #14

Then be prepared for some sticker shock, that Sir B90 master kit is retailing for around $800...............
Old 11-29-2023, 03:35 PM   #15

A lot of parts stores will loan you an equivalent to that Sir Bearing tool
986tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2023, 06:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986tate View Post
A lot of parts stores will loan you an equivalent to that Sir Bearing tool
This is usually my first stop. There are several auto parts stores really close to me so I'll be stopping by to see if they happen to have the correct tool probably this weekend.
Old 11-30-2023, 06:51 AM   #17

Just make sure their tool has the correct adaptors for Porsche, as many do not.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:31 AM   #18

What should I look for in an adapter for a Porsche? Is it a size thing or a specific shape?
Old 11-30-2023, 07:47 AM   #19

Size and shape of the "horseshoe"; Sir makes one that fits Porsche only and is part of their master kit.
Old 11-30-2023, 07:50 AM   #20