Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 05:16 AM   #1

Coolant drops on floor

Lately I've noticed a few drops of coolant on the garage floor after driving. IF I pull all of the trunk carpet out and IF there's no sign of moisture or stains in the trunk does that mean that the coolant tank is OK and the leak is from somewhere else .....like a hose or connection in the engine compartment? I'd like to either rule-out or rule-in the tank........ So tell me, IF the tank has a leak will it ALWAYS show signs in the rear trunk? Thanks.

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:47 AM   #2

Garage
Are those few drops in front of the right rear tire?
Do you have condensation on the trunk lid above the expansion tank?
Pull the plastic cover off and check the purge valve for coolant residue. There is a drain hole at top of the expansion tank that drains down through that hose down to just in front of right rear tire. Condensation or a small amount of pressure released coolant will drain down that hole/tube and be a few drops on the floor. Condensation can result in bad Cap (old part number ending in 01 - newer ends in 04) or purge valve issues possibly the 'O' rings in it.

A bad tank will typically leak into the trunk and it will usually be more than a few drops and it will also tend to lower your coolant levels. Pull the foam under the carpet as well

Last edited by kk2002s; 04-19-2019 at 05:52 AM.
kk2002s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 AM   #3

Thanks.... no moisture under the trunk lid and no moisture under the plastic cover around the dipstick/oil filler..... I replaced the cap a few years ago with the aftermarket one recommended on this forum. The coolant tank needs about 1/2 to 1 cup of 50/50 water-coolant each year to extinguish the red blinking low coolant light so wherever it’s leaking from must be a very small leak. The coolant tank is filled to the “max” level when cold...... perhaps it’s just overfilled?
Old 04-19-2019, 06:34 AM   #4
still plays with cars...

Garage
Mine lost a bit that way after water pump/ t-stat/coolant service.
I turkey-bastered some coolant out of the reservoir so it's at the halfway point when cold.
Haven't lost anymore since.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:35 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Check the water pump, it might be seeping and the hot coolant is boiling off before dripping. This is what mine looked like when I had a similar situation...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #6

Thanks "thstone" .....I'll check out the area near the water pump....Question is the pump and connection photo you posted a view from on top of the engine compartment or from below (on a lift). Just wonder what's the best angle to check it out from. In your case, was it leaking from the pump itself or from the hose connection or hose itself??

Last edited by Rob175; 04-19-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:59 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
Question is the pump and connection photo you posted a view from on top of the engine compartment or from below (on a lift).
That is the view from under the car. You may have to remove one of the underbody panels.

Quote:
In your case, was it leaking from the pump itself or from the hose connection or hose itself??
It was seeping from the pump and slowing dripping onto the other hoses where it evaporated and left coolant residue on the hoses under the water pump.

Let us know what you find.

Tom
1979 911 SC
Old 04-19-2019, 10:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
That is the view from under the car. You may have to remove one of the underbody panels.

It was seeping from the pump and slowing dripping onto the other hoses where it evaporated and left coolant residue on the hoses under the water pump.

Let us know what you find.

Tom
Mine was doing exactly the same thing. Water pump time.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:49 AM   #9

OK...I'll check it out the next time I can get the car up in the air. I'm not a DYI kinda guy so any idea what a typical cost to replace is?

Last edited by Rob175; 04-20-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:30 AM   #10
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
I'm not a DYI kinda guy so any idea what a typical cost to replace is?
If it is the water pump, the replacement cost at a local shop should be around $500-$700. A good pump is $250 (Porsche OEM around $325), Porsche coolant is $50, plus a few (~3) hours labor.

In the instance where its not the water pump, you'll have to spend some time to identity where the coolant is coming from.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 04-20-2019 at 06:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #11

THANKS!......anything less than $1,000 is a pleasent surprise to me....lol
Old 04-21-2019, 07:03 AM   #12

I had some coolant on my garage floor also. Turned out it was only a coolant hose clamp. Replaced the clamp ($2.00) and the leaked stopped. Good luck!
springer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer123 View Post
I had some coolant on my garage floor also. Turned out it was only a coolant hose clamp. Replaced the clamp ($2.00) and the leaked stopped. Good luck!
And… to keep the coolant system sealed, you may want to buy a worm type clamp that you can open and install around the hose without removing the hose.

A couple of weeks ago I got under my son Jetta and found two clamps on the lower radiator hose (spring type and worm type) and remember that several years ago, he had a small leak but he was late for a meeting, so we added the worm type clamp without removing the hose (and hot coolant), and completely forgot about it..
Yes, I know is not the proper way, but it works..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 05:56 AM   #14

Crazy stuff.....took the car out for a 2 hour ride yesterday, parked it back the garage with the usual piece of cardboard under it to catch the coolant drip.....to my surprise, NO DRIPS this morning!?!?

So, did I overfill the coolant tank when the coolant dash light was blinking? Did it just "magically" fix itself? Crazy stuff!
Old 04-29-2019, 06:04 AM   #15

Garage
I personally would not want my coolant level to be at high mark when cold.
Your quote "...The coolant tank is filled to the “max” level when cold...... perhaps it’s just overfilled?..."

I like to keep my level between the marks cold.

So overfill definitely a concern/contributor
Also any air trapped could cause issues.

Have you made sure there are no WP, hose leaks, evidence of seeping?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:49 AM   #16

I've been procrastinating on lifting the car and checking the WP or hose connections mainly because I don't have access to a lift and to be honest I want to be present and look for myself IF I take it to my indy Porsche shop. (ie: trust but verify...LOL).

I'm thinking that I overfilled the coolant tank this year when I took it out of it's winter storage. As I said, when I first took it out of storage the dash "low coolant" light was blinking (as it has done the last 2 years when it came out of storage) so I added only 1-1/2 cups of 50/50 water/coolant. That was enough to cover the coolant sensor, and also brought the tank level to the "max" mark on the tank when cold.

At this point I think I'll just monitor the situation and if the issue happens again I'll take it in. With the summer driving season ending October, if I can wait until then to bring it in that will be my plan....unless it drips again.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:32 AM   #17

Strange....no more drops on the floor after the last few drives..... Did it magically fix itself? Have the hose connections "softened up" with use after the long winter storage?....who knows? I'm just glad that the drops on the floor have stopped.