Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

Engine access on 03? (gahh top)

Ok what am I missing here? Did a search still nothing. Tons of videos and everything about accessing the engine with a plastic rear window, not a single one found for the glass rear window.

What is the trick here? I can not get the rear of the top past the roll protection to gain full access to the engine compartment?

xuno_gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

I guess i figured it out, it need to be tucked down instead of trying to go over. but still not much access I guess
xuno_gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

There is a nylon strap that you need to attach to the edge of the partly open top that will pull the glass window flat against the rear roll bar. Check out pedro's garage tech article for accessing the engine with a glass rear window:

Accessing the Engine
dachrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
When done properly the top access to the engine in the 03 and 04 is no worse than access to the 02 and earlier. Open part way, disengage the tension cable ends, detach the water tray at the bottom, tuck the top of the glass down and pivot the bottom up then take the looped end of the tether around the bump in the roofs leading edge. This will keep the glass from wanting to flop back down. Now you have access to the speaker box (if equipped) and the engine cover. I do this at least once a year to access the power steering fluid and clean the engine.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Garage
Its fine with the original rear windows and tops. It gets tough with the tops with glass windows that replace plastic ones, pre 2003. I had to do a lot of fiddling to have half decent access after we replaced the top on my wife's 2002 Boxster.

2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote