Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #1

Simoniz

I am currently using Zaino, but thinking of switching :

https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/simoniz/liquiddiamond/231990/

Ok, seriously, how bad is this stuff ?

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:32 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
This product is 100% practical if you drive your Boxster in fire and like to pour mountains of tar on your car daily......................
Old 09-20-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
bmussatti

And if you buy now............!

Come on, Nick, guys like you and I are helping to send Sal's (Zaino) grandkids to Harvard. We can't let them down.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti

Come on, Nick, guys like you and I are helping to send Sal's (Zaino) grandkids to Harvard. We can't let them down.
Well, since you put it that way...

Why is everything on TV $19.95 ?

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 09-24-2006, 08:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti

I just Zaino'd my car for the second time ( Boxster is now 5 months old ) and I can't believe how amazing this stuff is ! Took about 15 minutes to cover the entire car, let it sit for an hour, and then 15 minutes to remove. My paint looks brand new again ! If you have a black Boxster and you are not using this stuff, pick some up and give it a shot. You will not be disappointed !

BTW bmussatti, went on the Rally today and gave up after about an hour and a half. My fiancé and I were so lost we decided to go home. Should have grabbed the touring instructions instead ( it was our second rally )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 09-25-2006, 03:27 AM   #6

"I just Zaino'd my car for the second time ( Boxster is now 5 months old ) and I can't believe how amazing this stuff is ! Took about 15 minutes to cover the entire car, let it sit for an hour, and then 15 minutes to remove. My paint looks brand new again ! If you have a black Boxster and you are not using this stuff, pick some up and give it a shot. You will not be disappointed !"

Nick, sorry if I missed/forgot it but can you pls describe what products and when/how you used them since you first started with Zaino?

Thx.
Z.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
BTW bmussatti, went on the Rally today and gave up after about an hour and a half. My fiancé and I were so lost we decided to go home. Should have grabbed the touring instructions instead ( it was our second rally )

Nick

Don't worry, you and the-future-Mrs.NickCats did great on your first rallye in August. You were 1st. Place for Novice Class!!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:55 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
"I just Zaino'd my car for the second time ( Boxster is now 5 months old ) and I can't believe how amazing this stuff is ! Took about 15 minutes to cover the entire car, let it sit for an hour, and then 15 minutes to remove. My paint looks brand new again ! If you have a black Boxster and you are not using this stuff, pick some up and give it a shot. You will not be disappointed !"

Nick, sorry if I missed/forgot it but can you pls describe what products and when/how you used them since you first started with Zaino?

Thx.
Z.

z12358, check-out their web site at www.zainobros.com. They will give you great info there. You can also e-mail Sal Zaino, and he will promptly follow-up.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:34 AM   #9
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358

Thx.
Z.
z12358, being that your car is new, you can skip the whole DAWN soap wash and clay bar steps. Unless you have a lot of swirl marks.

You need to buy the Z7 Wash, Z5 Wax (helps to reduce swirl marks) Z2 Wax and the Z6 Spritz. You can also purchase the ZFX Accelerator (if you want to put mutiple coats on in one day).

Do a search for "Zaino" on the Forum, and you will find some good threads for your specific steps.

I wash my car, put a coat of Z2 or Z5 on, park in the garage, and then buff off next day or 2 days later.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:48 AM   #10

bmuss, thx for the info. I've read about Zaino here and on autopia.org and been to their website before.I was just wondering what Z(?) products NickCats used and how -- smth like what you just described. I'm happy with Meguiars NXT wax and spray wax (one coat of each) so far. Waiting in the basement for a chance to be tried out:
Optima rinseless car-wash.
3M Hand Glaze (for small swirls).

I guess Zaino will have to wait at least until next spring.

Z.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:04 AM   #11

you should always clay bar your car before waxing/polishing.
There are soft and medium clays. Medium for stripping everything (contaminants on not-so-new cars like ferrous particles, acid rain, etc.) leaving the paint bare and softer grades for removing lightly bonded debris like tree sap, tar, silicas from sand on the road etc. Washing your car might not dislodge this type debris from the paint surface but rubbing on the paint with a wax applicator will break them loose. Voila! instant sand paper on your paint.
Black paint won't let you get away with that.
You should also wash after claying to clear all those abrasives away.

Even with a daily driver, you should only be touching your paint a couple times a month so claying once a month when you apply your wax topper is not much extra work and will keep your paint away from the time intensive de-swirling process.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:05 AM   #12

z12358,

My process is pretty simple. I wash and dry the car with P21S, and then apply Z-5.

I let it sit for about an hour, then remove.

Looks great, and doesn't take a lot of time.

Hope this helps...

Nick

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-5&Category_Code=Zaino

http://www.p21s.com/products/bis_taw.html

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
Old 09-25-2006, 06:27 AM   #13

"you should always clay bar your car before waxing/polishing. "

OK, perfectlap, I give up.
What is the SOFTEST (least abrasive) clay bar that you would recommend? May not be a bad idea to clay the car before the last waxing and storing it for the winter.

My car spends all week in storage and is outside only on weekends in the country. I remember you mentioned Klasse AIO would do the job of a soft clay bar on a relatively clean car.

Thx.
Z.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:13 AM   #14

Sonus Green is very very soft clay. Many have complained it's too soft.
You have to use a nice size clump otherwise it will break apart. a bit extra lubrication is not a bad idea.
I don't think you'll get any benefit from waxing the car for storage. Probably do more harm than good. If you don't need to touch the paint, don't. Leaving it as is after claying is not a bad idea. Sometimes debris will sit too long on the paint and etch tiny dimples into the clear coat when it finnaly removed.
If you want it to sparkle in the garage, I might try a less invasive spray wax like your NXT spray which last forever. Very good stuff for an over the counter product.
Spray the panel and the towel before touch the paint, always.

and the Klasse All in One(which has a new eco friendly formula--mixed reviews) is not a substitute for claying, just a great paint cleaner. The car should be clayed before rubbing on the paint no matter what product is used. If you want to go one better after claying on an older vehicle try a decontamination kit like FK1.
Claying dislodges debris but sometimes the debris is below the surface, a decon kit will flush out ferrous particles and chemicals contaminants from swirl channels that cut their way down to the base layer, which leads to rust.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-25-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:40 AM   #15

perfectlap, thx. Very useful, as usual.
I still can't see how a good coat of wax will not be helpful for storage. The parking space is a self-storage unit, and eventually there will be dust on the car after a month-two. For that reason I was planning to get a light indoor cover for the car and the wax can add another layer of protection between the cleacoat and the cover (or the dust, if no cover).
Can I use the Optima car wash as a lubricant for the claying?
Thx again,
Z.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:13 AM   #16

yes you can use the the No-Rinse as a clay lube. I haven't done it but really any soap or quick detailer will work. At $13 a bottle I'm might try something cheaper like an over the counter quick detail spray like Eagle one or Mother's. I use FK 425 for claying slickest product I've tried no other product has that slippery a feel when its dry.
Unless the car cover is protecting you from sunlight I don't think you will be doing anything other than saving yourself a few minutes of cleaining dust off the car.
Car covers are risky, the car has to be 100% CLEAN before it goes on. I'm sure you will do this to your new baby but allot of people who use them regularly are ironically doing more harm than good.

Paints nowadays are very resilient and can withstand lots of Sun and rain. A car that is rarely washed, ironically, is in better condition after one year than one that is frequently detailed.

as far as the benefits of pre-storage waxing you might try the Autopia site and ask those who store cars on what their methods are. Some waxes which are mostly acrylics break down at a much slower rate than natural carnauba blends.
Maybe they might say to use a sealant depending if its not a climate controled container.

p.s.
I tried Poorboy's Trim Restorer this weekend (poorboysworld.com) after dying my windshield/window trim and bumperetes with Forever Black. A great 1-2
I also washed the top with Raggtopp cleanser after a bird a-bomb and it looks brand new again. Great product.