Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Boxster 986 Window Not Dropping to close

I recently noticed that the passenger side door of my 2003 Boxster no longer drops all the time when I try to close it. The window does drop when the door is opened but does not automatically go down all the time when I attempt to close the door. The car is in very good condition and only has 11,000 miles on it and has been garaged for its entire life.

TristanL01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Is there a difference between opening from the outside or inside?
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Is there a difference between opening from the outside or inside?
LOL !!
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #4
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
LOL !!
Not sure why that’s a LOL?

It seems similar to a buddy’s 996 - from the inside the glass drops and only lifts when the door is shut, while from the outside it’ll drop but immediately lift when the handle is released (door still open). Trying to see if it could be a microswitch issue or something else.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 05:15 AM   #5
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanL01 View Post
I recently noticed that the passenger side door of my 2003 Boxster no longer drops all the time when I try to close it. The window does drop when the door is opened but does not automatically go down all the time when I attempt to close the door. The car is in very good condition and only has 11,000 miles on it and has been garaged for its entire life.
Am I missing something? "... no longer drops all the time when I'm closing it".

Wouldn't the window drop a bit when the door is opened, but when you close the door the door goes back "up", not "down".

I know I'd have a problem if I closed my door and the window went down. What am I missing here?

Great new member introduction, by the way. God luck with your window problem.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:41 AM   #6

My windows drop when the door is opened and they stay in that position until the door is closed. Only then do they go back up.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:08 AM   #7

I think what he is saying is the window pops back up before the door is closed. Mine's also doing this and it appears as though the micro switch in the lock control is bad.
SlowernOlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #8
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I saw there were several replies yesterday and figured someone gave a good answer. I just now read the post out of curiosity. What a bunch of crap.

Guys: When the door is opened the window should stay down slightly so that it won't hit the seal at the roof line. When the door latch closes, a micro switch is pushed that closes the window completely.

TristanL01: While holding your door open, use use the door handle as if to open the door. Does the window drop slightly and go back up when the handle is released?

If so, then you need to replace or repair the door latch mechanism inside the door.

I've repaired it on a couple cars, and its a pain because you pretty much have to pull the whole door apart to do it.
Check these threads:
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/70390-window-drops-when-i-open-door-but-then-goes-back-up.html
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/70183-vw-do-latch-actuator.html

On one of my cars I repaired the latch with a small piece of plastic cut from the lid of a coffee can. It still works two years later. Don't try that though, just buy a new one.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #9

Garage
So my 2001 started doing similar things last weekend, looking for inputs.

If the door is closed, and you pull the door handle from the outside and the window does not go down, it's the door handle switch? What if it doesn't go down for either inside or outside?

If the door is closed, and you pull the handle and the window does go down, but immediately goes back up, it's the door latch mechanism?

mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote