Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 07:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
Wow, that does NOT look plug and play.
Looks like a major job.
This explains I've never heard a single mention of this.
Very few people have ever done this.
Not really as bad as it looks reading that thread. I had never undertaken anything close to this magnitude before. Was overly causus and made alot of mistakes. Finally got it right. If I did this again I could finish the prep in a few days. I just wanted to do it myself.

I've had both a factory hardtop and this top. The factory top is a little easier to switch and quieter but I found the look odd. The Z-art top, in my opinion, looks much better but it is noisier and takes several more steps to remove. The D.Morris top is more like factory but shipped to US was around $2000 more. As for the Cayman, I guess it you didn't care about having the ability to remove the top, that would be the way to go. I've never driven one but I assume its similar.

Last edited by JBauer; 03-02-2019 at 07:58 AM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:00 AM   #22

Quote:
Thank you.

What's the leading brand?
Z-top?
They are the only brand making this type.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
They are the only brand making this type.
actually, if you go to the latest website they are not called z-tops any more. but it's a good search term if looking for more info.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:12 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
actually, if you go to the latest website they are not called z-tops any more. but it's a good search term if looking for more info.
Can you post the latest website URL?
sugarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #25

Quote:
Can you post the latest website URL?
Here's the dealer in Ohio where I purchased mine:

https://www.acustomhardtop.com/
Old 03-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Sorry Frodo, #5 Punkin is resting nicely in the garage, just waiting for all the snow, ice, and cold weather to disappear in the rear view mirror. It is nice to know I could liquidate my inventory IF that day ever arrived. The former #2 salesperson at Porsche of Omaha (now Alfa sales mgr) covets my CSS. Anytime there was a new Porsche intro, he would make a ridiculous (in my favor) offer for my CSS. He once offered to take both of my cars straight up for a new 2016 Boxster Spyder! It was such a stunning offer (the Spyder had a sticker of $95K) that I actually thought about it for a second - I couldn't believe he was offering that much for my cars. Then my senses came back to me and I declined.
Oh man you are stronger than i would be! i love the 981 Spyder and short of a GT4 there isn't another "nice weather" car i would want. If i wont the lottery tomorrow i'd have a Spyder and GT4 in my garage. Spyder prices are outrageous, you can get a GT4 and SAVE $20k over a spyder...didnt see that coming!
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #27

Quote:
Here's the dealer in Ohio where I purchased mine:

https://www.acustomhardtop.com/
Link is broken

I was planning on doing a Zeintop on my car... Planning is a light way of putting it. I noticed on Ebay that the top costs almost $10 000. If that's the case I might as well scrap my car and gut a Cayman to get the results I want.

Is this just a fluke or something?

If its not a fluke anybody want to sell their damaged or not wanted z-top; perhaps one that they couldn't complete? hehe

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:18 AM   #28

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
Link is broken

I was planning on doing a Zeintop on my car... Planning is a light way of putting it. I noticed on Ebay that the top costs almost $10 000. If that's the case I might as well scrap my car and gut a Cayman to get the results I want.

Is this just a fluke or something?

If its not a fluke anybody want to sell their damaged or not wanted z-top; perhaps one that they couldn't complete? hehe

I’m in a sloooow process of getting my money back from that clown.
I also found out who his supplier is and talked to them. They are no longer ordering the tops from their Hong Kong manufacturer. So, as far as I’ve been able to find, no cayman-style tops available at present.
Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:51 AM   #29

I don't know why they are suddenly $10000. on Ebay.The 986 top cost me $2600 including all parts except spinlocks and is was available at the Ohio dealer. Not sure why the link is broken but you might try calling them. They have active ebay auctions going on now for a factory second cheap.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
I’m in a sloooow process of getting my money back from that clown.
I also found out who his supplier is and talked to them. They are no longer ordering the tops from their Hong Kong manufacturer. So, as far as I’ve been able to find, no cayman-style tops available at present.
Im curious. Getting your money back from who?
Old 01-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Im curious. Getting your money back from who?
This guy: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F18 2453537329

Who, it turns out, buys them from this guy (the seller you posted from your iPhone): https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F32 4050765947

Who told me on the phone that he’s getting out of importing the tops from Hong Kong and only has the damaged 987 top left in stock. After that’s gone, he’s done.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #32

Who told me on the phone that he’s getting out of importing the tops from Hong Kong and only has the damaged 987 top left in stock. After that’s gone, he’s done.

Sorry your having trouble.
I emailed the Ohio company and got a blow off response. I bought one several years ago, $2600 and never had a problem with the Ohio company. Weird.
Ive dealt with extreme before and never had a problem. He must of bought out their stock. Ad says he has 8 left.
Did you buy one and are wanting to return it?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #33

Garage
Quote:

Sorry your having trouble.
I emailed the Ohio company and got a blow off response. I bought one several years ago, $2600 and never had a problem with the Ohio company. Weird.
Ive dealt with extreme before and never had a problem. He must of bought out their stock. Ad says he has 8 left.
Did you buy one and are wanting to return it?
No, he has none in stock. I ordered one only to find out that he doesn’t have them in stock. I then went on to find out that his supplier, whom I’ve listed, also doesn’t have them in stock and is not getting any more.

And he’s taking his sweet damn time refunding my money too. Been almost a month.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #34

Quote:
No, he has none in stock. I ordered one only to find out that he doesn’t have them in stock. I then went on to find out that his supplier, whom I’ve listed, also doesn’t have them in stock and is not getting any more.

And he’s taking his sweet damn time refunding my money too. Been almost a month.

I without mentioning you asked him about the status of the tops. He bought out the Ohio dealer and is going to be the only US supplier. He's waiting on a shipment and will have more soon. The same thing happened on my led taillights. He ran out, I ********************ed, I had to wait but the came when he said. If you end up getting the top and have any questions let me know. I love mine.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #35
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:

PM me. My line of work permits me to engineer correspondence that assures the recipient quickly will remedy the matter. Never have I had a recipient of my "consumer correspondence" fail to pay up. Never.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
PM me. My line of work permits me to engineer correspondence that assures the recipient quickly will remedy the matter. Never have I had a recipient of my "consumer correspondence" fail to pay up. Never.

Thanks, I appreciate that very much. No worries though - I went through PayPal, so if he doesn’t pay, they will take care of me. Although I’m sure he will pay, he’s just being slow about it. :-(

JBauer - pictures and threads here about your top have been an inspiration to me. Hopefully he does eventually get more tops in stock. If so, I may reorder.

I’m planning a track car, so the weight of the top might be an issue. May just go with a spec Boxster fiberglass top. Decisions, decisions...
Old 01-29-2020, 04:19 PM   #37

Quote:
I’m planning a track car, so the weight of the top might be an issue. May just go with a spec Boxster fiberglass top. Decisions, decisions...
some of the cali guys on this forum might be able to help you find member eric523; he was making/selling a 986 track top molded from a 996; a search on here will get you pics, etc.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 04:50 PM   #38

Quote:
I don't know why they are suddenly $10000. on Ebay.The 986 top cost me $2600 including all parts except spinlocks and is was available at the Ohio dealer. Not sure why the link is broken but you might try calling them. They have active ebay auctions going on now for a factory second cheap.

I know I saw that... Sucks its for a 987. Too pricy for me to risk "making it fit"

I messaged him and he said he only had the one top, none for the 986.

Man, I finally get a 986 that I'm willing to do body work on and they stop making the top I want.

How often do these things come up used? I've never seen one used, but I haven't been really looking hard being that they are not too expensive new.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Thanks, I appreciate that very much. No worries though - I went through PayPal, so if he doesn’t pay, they will take care of me. Although I’m sure he will pay, he’s just being slow about it. :-(
He's stalling.
You're clearly getting scammed. Refund takes 10 seconds.
Look up the Paypal refund claim deadline limit timeframe.
sugarwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:49 AM   #40

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
some of the cali guys on this forum might be able to help you find member eric523; he was making/selling a 986 track top molded from a 996; a search on here will get you pics, etc.
Thanks. I’ll search that and see.