Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

Purchase Opinion please

Iam thinking about buying a 02' Boxster ( sadly not a S ) Has 80 K miles,seems to have a lot of options only missing rear defrost I think, has PSM, Trip computer, Cruise C., heated seats , Pwr seats , Bose system, and the last owner spent very near 9K, on new clutch, new AOS, new MAF , 1 window regulator, and a few other misc items,.In a year and a half time frame,they ONLY did the intermediate shaft PLATE. and RMS, the shop said owner did not want to do the IMS bearing,therefore is was not done,and they said it could not be checked without pulling it,..the cam deviation test would not have revealed anything with said bearing. car is selling for 9500.00 ?? looks nice in the pics,.take the plunge,.. I have seen the invoices ?? Thanks !

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:32 AM   #2

I would suggest getting a qoute for installing an IMS kit add that to price of car and decide if its worth it to you! You know do you just have to have that one, there are plenty around. Also check the going sales prices for similiar cars in your area. Just strange to me the owner would do all that work and not have IMS installed too. But smarter guys on this forum than me will have good advice.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:24 AM   #3

Don't fret too much between an S and Base. There is not that much difference between the two other than some low end torque. In the medium to high rev range one's as quick as the other. Buy the best condition boxster you can. I also agree to add in the ims cost in your negotiations if you think that is something you will seriously do.
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:55 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgkram View Post
Don't fret too much between an S and Base. There is not that much difference between the two other than some low end torque. In the medium to high rev range one's as quick as the other. Buy the best condition boxster you can. I also agree to add in the ims cost in your negotiations if you think that is something you will seriously do.
40hp on a 200 something hp car is not nothing. Power difference is for sure noticeable
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:57 AM   #5

Garage
You say "sadly not an S..." well will you regret not having an 'S'? There are differences
Not sure where you are geographically but $9500- $10500 US would get you an 'S'. $9k without IMSB seems like a lot $$$ but you may find this car fits the bill for you.
Old 02-23-2019, 05:16 AM   #6

Garage
My opinion, negotiate a lower price, 9.5K is too high for an 80K mileage non-S.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:05 AM   #7

. . .or just keep looking.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #8

The S is not the most important thing to me,I like all the options and the fact that it had a lot of work done on the car, I to dont understand why the IMS wasnt replaced ,and it will be a pain to do all that work to replace it..for sure.but its the first car ive run across that has ppwk,..and yes a cheaper price would not hurt..!!
Old 02-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #9

plus what is the intermediate shaft plate,..and why replace just that.?
Old 02-23-2019, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
My opinion, negotiate a lower price, 9.5K is too high for an 80K mileage non-S.
NADA books it with options @ $10,775 clean retail in CO. Price is in the ballpark. Not sure I would sweat the IMS at that mileage, but tough call. The “plate” is the cover of the bearing. You still want to get a PPI regardless. Check cam deviations, etc.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
NADA books it with options @ $10,775 clean retail in CO. Price is in the ballpark. Not sure I would sweat the IMS at that mileage, but tough call. The “plate” is the cover of the bearing. You still want to get a PPI regardless. Check cam deviations, etc.
agree. lowball too much and you'll negotiate yourself out of the deal
jmitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
KBB shows $6462-$9859 (between private parties)
Old 02-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #13

well this is on a corner car lot in Phx,az...and the reason iam considering it is because I have copies of those receipts and the previous owners phone number,.I just havent spoken with him yet..hoping I can soon
Old 02-23-2019, 10:34 AM   #14

Man, you need to come to other parts of the country where prices are reasonable. That being said, given the car is on a 'corner lot', I'd suggest that the dealer isn't even into the car for $6K. Negotiate the heck out of it if its what you want.

The transaction isn't personal. No seller will be 'insulted' with any offer. That's just stupid.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:04 AM   #15

The S in Colorado with its mountains and altitude may be more important to you than to us flatlanders at 200 feet. To me it wasn't as the base meant I could keep my foot on the right hand pedal longer. Owned both. And at least that base is a 2.7 and thus 26 HP more than my 2.5 was.

Is the top original? The '03-'04 would have the glass window. How clear are the headlights?

I don't like the sound of the "cam deviation wouldn't reveal". Any warranty since it is not a private sale? Will they allow a PPI?

I collect Porsche Acronyms. PPWS = ?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #16

As it turns out I spoke with the owner and in the last 6 month's ..he has done about 11000.00 worth of maint.work,..clutch and flywheel, RMS ,only the IMshaft plate,new MAF,new AOS,new coolant tank,new top with glass window,new tires,also re-upholstered the seats in leather,new windshield, he also owned it for 5 yrs,and said it does NOT use oil. ,lot offered it at 9K. So I hope to purchase next week..!!if it all checks out.

and mikefocke the PPWK,...means paper work,.sorry for that confusion,...Frank
Old 02-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #17

Kinda to good to be true,.but I do have receipts for all the mechanical work,.he has all the other paper work he said he could prove it all..?? we shall see.Thanks
Old 02-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #18

Get a PPI done by a shop. That should help worth your decision.
rflores2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:38 AM   #19

With all the work that has been done, the price is not too bad. I bet you could negotiate a price between $8500 and $9000. Parts and labor for replacing the IMSB alone should be $1500-$1800. You're unlikely to find a good example with a new IMSB for under $10k.
Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:45 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegro View Post
With all the work that has been done, the price is not too bad. I bet you could negotiate a price between $8500 and $9000. Parts and labor for replacing the IMSB alone should be $1500-$1800. You're unlikely to find a good example with a new IMSB for under $10k.
You cant totally figure in a return for doing normal maintenance that was done on a car. Yes well maintained ect... will help price but in the end the car is only worth what book value of similiar milage cars are going plus a bump in condition.

Since its on a car lot makes me wonder why, with all that work put into it. Seems to me cars taken well care move between enthusiast more often than being traded in. Whiever traded to a big hit in value to get out from under it.