Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2019, 10:51 AM   #1

Aftermarket exh install 1999 Boxster

I plan to remove OEM muffler and install new aftermarket type. Can’t tell til after OEM removed but is there a brace to attach the bracket to. Or will one have to be fabricated after removal ? Thanks

Tmar04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

Garage
I to have purchased an after market car back for my 1998 boxster. You have to remove the bumper to get to the top hanger bolts on the OEM muffler. Depending on the brand of muffler you bought, there should be a hanger on the muffler (a lot smaller/skinnier due to the much decreased weight) that will fit into the top where the OEM muffler hung from. So you are going from about 4 to 6 bolts to 2 bolts if im correct. I haven't tackled mine due to the amount of rust on the cats, U piped and mid pipes. Any suggestions on getting the OEM muffler off??? Hope i helped you out some.
Lrobb1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #3
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmar04 View Post
I plan to remove OEM muffler and install new aftermarket type. Can’t tell til after OEM removed but is there a brace to attach the bracket to. Or will one have to be fabricated after removal ? Thanks
I guess that depends on which aftermarket you're using?
Most of them have some sort of hanger from the transaxle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:33 AM   #4

I was able to remove mine without taking off the bumper. Just have to reach up to get the top bolts off.

bob4a3 is offline   Reply With Quote