Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 01:38 AM   #1

Engine noise - Squeaking

Guys,
My 986 has this squeeking noise coming from the engine.
It's high-ish pitched squeek that seems to come from the passenger side, kind of around the air intake area. I notice the sound more when it's ticking over or at low revs.
Is this a common fault - is this gonna kill my wallet?

rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:10 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
The air intake area is one driver's side. Access your engine compartment and see if the squeel is coming from a part that should be located right in front of you if you are standing over the intake vent.

You should try to be as specific as possible. What year and model? Does the sound stay on all the time? Is it there when you give it gas or vica versa? Do you have a CEL(check engine light)?
Old 09-15-2006, 04:02 AM   #3

Hey - thanks for the quick reply.
More specific - UK right hand drive '99 Boxster (2.5)
When I'm sat in the car the sound seems to come from over my left shoulder.
When I get out and walk 'round the sound seems to come from under the left wing, slightly behind (Towards the back) the vent but before the wheel. Not coming from the vent tho.
One of the guys in the office said it sounded like a slipping belt of some type - but i'm no expert (At all, just love driving the car)
Not as noticable when it cold (The car, not the weather) more evident after 40 minutes on the motorway.
No warning lights, but they do work/light up on ignition etc.

If the air intake is on the right, whet is the hole in the left? - sorry for my ignorance
Old 09-15-2006, 05:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich
Hey - thanks for the quick reply.
More specific - UK right hand drive '99 Boxster (2.5)
When I'm sat in the car the sound seems to come from over my left shoulder.
When I get out and walk 'round the sound seems to come from under the left wing, slightly behind (Towards the back) the vent but before the wheel. Not coming from the vent tho.
One of the guys in the office said it sounded like a slipping belt of some type - but i'm no expert (At all, just love driving the car)
Not as noticable when it cold (The car, not the weather) more evident after 40 minutes on the motorway.
No warning lights, but they do work/light up on ignition etc.

If the air intake is on the right, whet is the hole in the left? - sorry for my ignorance
Hi,

On the UK cars, things get a little reversed. On my Lotus, I say the ROW cars are reversed since it's a Brit car, but this one's German, so you're the odd man here...

It could well be the belt from your description. There is only 1 belt on the Boxster - the Serpentine Belt which snakes around the crankshaft pulley, through a couple idler/tensioner pulleys and around the coolant pump, alternator, AC condenser and PS pump.

If you have a '99 and it's original, it's time to change it since the service interval is 60k mi. or 5 years. Here in the US, the belt retails for around $35, maybe £17-£20 GBP.

Installation is very straightforward. Really all you need is the knowledge of how to remove your engine's front cover and how to use a 24mm socket wrench. Should take less than 15-20 min. to swap it out. You use the wrench to relieve the tension on the existing belt from one of the idler pulleys and then slip the belt off the other pulleys. Now, taking the new belt, and seeing that it rottates in the same direction as the one you removed, slip it on all the pulleys and finally over the tensioner making sure the belt is well centered on all pulleys. Release the idler pulley and you're done.

If it sounds like something you'd be interested in tackling on your own, send me a PM w/ your email addy and I'll send you step-by-step procedure.

On the UK cars, the Air Intake is on the left (same as ROW) but of course this is the passenger side. The Driver side intake is the engine bay cooling intake which also has a thermostatically controlled fan which draws ambient air into the intake anytime the engine bay temps exceed 85°C/185°F. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-15-2006 at 06:56 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 06:42 AM   #5

Jim, many thanks for this.
Noted - I am the odd one here, ha!

I took the car into my regular garage this morning.
This is the place that does all my regular servicing and general work Anyway, I pretty much trust these guys and don't feel like I'm being ripped-off.

From the chirping sound, kind of like the Pshyco shower scene music they told me it was potentially a big problem. As i've mentioned I'm not technical with cars - I know my limits here. They have seen this before and porsche do not have a definate/accurate fix for the problem. They mentioned cylinder head and piston liners, with no guarentee of ultimate success. they said about 1 week in the garage to take the engine out/do the repairs etc. and put it back together. Parts/Labour & VAT make this a big deal, its not a good time for this type of payout. (Is any time?)

The other suggestion was to sell it quick! obviously this gives me a big worry.
Feelin re-assured by your comments, but does any of this sound familiar at all to anyone?

Thanks again in advance.
Rich.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich
Jim, many thanks for this.
Noted - I am the odd one here, ha!

I took the car into my regular garage this morning.
This is the place that does all my regular servicing and general work Anyway, I pretty much trust these guys and don't feel like I'm being ripped-off.

From the chirping sound, kind of like the Pshyco shower scene music they told me it was potentially a big problem. As i've mentioned I'm not technical with cars - I know my limits here. They have seen this before and porsche do not have a definate/accurate fix for the problem. They mentioned cylinder head and piston liners, with no guarentee of ultimate success. they said about 1 week in the garage to take the engine out/do the repairs etc. and put it back together. Parts/Labour & VAT make this a big deal, its not a good time for this type of payout. (Is any time?)

The other suggestion was to sell it quick! obviously this gives me a big worry.
Feelin re-assured by your comments, but does any of this sound familiar at all to anyone?

Thanks again in advance.
Rich.
Hi,

Cylinder head and piston liners is a little extreme for an off-the-cuff diagnosis. The '99 doesn't even have cylinder liners, just a limited number of '98s had them as a stop gap and most of these failed in under 12k mi.

I know you feel you trust them, but if you're not having any drivability issues, CELs and the like, I am a little leery of such a severe prediction. A good doctor doesn't see a patient with a cut finger and suddenly leap forward to terminal cancer, a good mechanic shouldn't either. It's a long stretch between a chirping sound and engine replacement, especially if the engine otherwise operates normally.

I didn't see where you previously called it a chirp though. This leads me to believe that it could be a bearing on an ancillary such as coolant pump, AC compressor, Alternator or even an idler pulley, something which rotates, all relatively minor. Also, the secondary airpump can make a similar sound, but I'm not sure these are used in ROW models.

Before committing to a major repair and major £££, I'd be sure that you get a second opinion. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:41 AM   #7

Hey Jim,

Again, all noted with thanks.
Well definately get a 2nd opinion.

The weekend's nearly started and the sun is still shining in the generally rainy northwest of England! Have a good weekend!! & Good drivin!!! Top down while I still can!!!!
Old 09-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #8

Have them check your oil filler hose when the engine is on to see if it collapses. It will collapse and eventually squeal like that when the oil separator starts to go.

If it collapses when the engine is on you need a new separator and oil filler tube.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote