View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #6
MNBoxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich
Jim, many thanks for this.
Noted - I am the odd one here, ha!

I took the car into my regular garage this morning.
This is the place that does all my regular servicing and general work Anyway, I pretty much trust these guys and don't feel like I'm being ripped-off.

From the chirping sound, kind of like the Pshyco shower scene music they told me it was potentially a big problem. As i've mentioned I'm not technical with cars - I know my limits here. They have seen this before and porsche do not have a definate/accurate fix for the problem. They mentioned cylinder head and piston liners, with no guarentee of ultimate success. they said about 1 week in the garage to take the engine out/do the repairs etc. and put it back together. Parts/Labour & VAT make this a big deal, its not a good time for this type of payout. (Is any time?)

The other suggestion was to sell it quick! obviously this gives me a big worry.
Feelin re-assured by your comments, but does any of this sound familiar at all to anyone?

Thanks again in advance.
Rich.
Hi,

Cylinder head and piston liners is a little extreme for an off-the-cuff diagnosis. The '99 doesn't even have cylinder liners, just a limited number of '98s had them as a stop gap and most of these failed in under 12k mi.

I know you feel you trust them, but if you're not having any drivability issues, CELs and the like, I am a little leery of such a severe prediction. A good doctor doesn't see a patient with a cut finger and suddenly leap forward to terminal cancer, a good mechanic shouldn't either. It's a long stretch between a chirping sound and engine replacement, especially if the engine otherwise operates normally.

I didn't see where you previously called it a chirp though. This leads me to believe that it could be a bearing on an ancillary such as coolant pump, AC compressor, Alternator or even an idler pulley, something which rotates, all relatively minor. Also, the secondary airpump can make a similar sound, but I'm not sure these are used in ROW models.

Before committing to a major repair and major £££, I'd be sure that you get a second opinion. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote