Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 12:45 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Tweeters? Hmm....

Well it looks as if the time has come to break the "oem" out of my car. The stereo system sucks and lacks clarity. I'm not too much of a bass guy so the car is fine there. I just want it to be more clear. Im going to change the 4" midrange/drivers in the dash but I have never heard anything from anyone about the .75" tweeters?! Are they simple to change out? Anyone have a recommendation?

For the 4" coaxials I'm considering either;
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=986
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=990
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=901
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=899
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4166
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=869

*Does know any difference between the three Focal coaxials? The specs are pretty much the same.

Now if its possible to change out the tweeters as well;
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2310
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2325

Any input is appreciated.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:06 AM   #2
boggtown

Dude, the tweeters are built in to some of those mb quarts, they could be built into all of them but I didnt look but at the first one, lol. Those are super cheap though, I cant comment on the quality because ive never had them, but I paid like $200 for some JL mids and highs and those sounded feakin awesome. But I had the $84 tweeters your talking about, (i got the VR set) and they were tight, make sure to get some bass blockers just in case so you dont blow them. Dont get the focals, stick with name brand. But in all honesty, better speakers will help, but unless you have an aftermarket headunit and amp they will be underpowered and still be kinda sucky. I only changed out the speakers in my BMW with the JL system because I blew my speakers. If your gonna do it, do it right, find a good 4 channel amp (one channel per mid, run the tweeters off the aftermarket radio because you dont want to blow your skull up with high pitched squeeling), get a quality aftermarket radio, get quality speakers that are within range of your amp. In other words, dont buy a 400 watt amp just to go get 50 watt speakers, or vice versa and waste your money on uber speakers with no amp. I am just waiting to sell my system then I will have money for speakers and stuff, lol. So if you know anyone that wants subs and an amp, send them to me.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
... Dont get the focals, stick with name brand...
Hi,

Sorry, but FOCAL is a name brand. They make some of the best speakers in the business, far surpassing the JL's. One can't really know Car Stereo without knowing FOCAL. Just FYI...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #4
boggtown

hmm, didnt know that, ive never heard of them before today.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
hmm, didnt know that, ive never heard of them before today.
I didn't hear of them before as there aren't many high-end stereo shops in Sacramento. I talked to Trigem2k about his cars stereo and he said used Focal Utopias. I saw a set at a local shop of Utopias.....$750 a pair to replace the door speakers.

Last edited by blinkwatt; 09-13-2006 at 10:26 AM.
blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I didn't hear of them before as there aren't many high-end stereo shops in Sacramento. I talked to Trigem2k about his cars stereo and he said used Focal Utopias. I saw a set at a local shop of Utopias.....$750 a pair to replace the door speakers.

Hi,

Yea, they're not cheap, but as the saying goes... I have the Focal Utopia Be system in my Esprit mated to a Nakamichi Head Unit and 4X100 Nakamichi Amp. If it were any closer to Carnegie Hall sound, you'd have to buy a ticket...

FOCAL has been making loudspeakers for more than 25 years. It is a French product and consistently among the world's best. They have now branched into amplifiers as well which should also be amazing.

You're not likely to find them available widely as they are cost prohibitive to many buyers and too costly for retailers to inventory.

They make loudspeakers for your home system as well, though you'd need a 2nd mortgage to afford them, still well worth it. Check them out at: http://www.focal-america.com/

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-13-2006 at 11:14 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
AHAHAHAHHA.........I KNOW JIM WAS LAUGHING WHEN HE READ "FOCAL IS NOT A NAME BRAND".

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT BOGGTOWN, I THINK YOUR STILL LIVING IN your HIGHSCHOOL DAYS WHEN IT WAS COOL TO RUN 10,000WATT SYSTEMS THAT SOUNDED LIKE @#$%.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Sorry, but FOCAL is a name brand. They make some of the best speakers in the business, far surpassing the JL's. One can't really know Car Stereo without knowing FOCAL. Just FYI...

Good set focals tweeters cost more the Infinity or Polk Audio itself. At first I didn't believe it either but when I had a system plus nav installed into my wife's MDX, I have to give it two thumbs up!
rctboxsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:05 PM   #9
boggtown

Man, whats with all the hatin. "With all due respect" doesn't give you the right to say whatever you want, if you've seen Ricky Bobby you know what I'm talking about. And I never thought a 10,000 watt system was cool, I made sure to dynamat the hell out of my BMW so it wouldn't rattle. And my highschool days were only like 4 monthes ago, so whats that got to do with anything? But oh well, I guess I'm gonna get crap for not knowing what focal speakers were.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:21 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Man, whats with all the hatin. "With all due respect" doesn't give you the right to say whatever you want, if you've seen Ricky Bobby you know what I'm talking about. And I never thought a 10,000 watt system was cool, I made sure to dynamat the hell out of my BMW so it wouldn't rattle. And my highschool days were only like 4 monthes ago, so whats that got to do with anything? But oh well, I guess I'm gonna get crap for not knowing what focal speakers were.

No hating dude....I just thought it was funny. But hey just an fyi dynamat CHANGES the way a speaker is "supposed" to sound. I try and aviod it at all cost. I've been into high end car audio for a while now, used to do installs for friends back in the day (i say it as if im so much older haha).

Anyway, anyone thats looking for super highend system above and beyond what retailers sell should check out Reus Systems.

What have you done to your car so far?
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
boggtown

Absolutely nothing so far, besides wheels, window tint, and a cd player. I am trying to only buy "universal" stuff, by universal I mean so when I buy a 911 when I get out of college I can put the wheels on it along with the cd player and future things I might buy. My plans are bypass valves, ROW kit, and maybe a new front bumper (one that will go onto a 911 if I get a 99-01, or maybe you can fit 996 headlamps into the boxster so you can run 996 front bumpers, but who knows)

Last edited by boggtown; 09-13-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:41 PM   #12

Thumbs up

I have the Focal 100v setup in my dash , 5WS subwoofers in my doors. All were mounted with just slight modifications , using the stock speaker grills . 60 x 4 Audison amp powers them, with a Nak CD400 head unit. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. Talk to Rod @ www.caraudioinnovations.com blinkwatt, he carries all these, except the 5WS which I believe they don't make anymore. Hes in Roseville, which shouldn't be too far away from you ( I believe). I really like the sound quality, crystal clear, and plenty loud for my needs ........

Work done '06 :Replaced bad hose and clamps from reservoir tank
oil change and filter
replaced seals on both cam covers
brakes bled and refilled
Replaced bent rear right lower control arm
Front air dams and 3 underbody panels replaced
Halogen headlamps replaced
bigislandboxster is offline   Reply With Quote