Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2018, 12:17 PM   #1

Began my winter project - interesting find

Hello all

I have started my winter major maintenance project on my new to me 2004 Boxster (Base). My plan is to replace the clutch (original clutch - 150K KM), flywheel, IMS bearing, Water pump, and thermostat. While under the car this weekend, removing the access panels and chassis rails/plate, I noticed there was some (a bit, not too much) CV grease flung around the inner drivers side CV joint. The joint itself was a bit greasy as well. I thought to myself "must be a ripped boot"...but upon further inspection, the boot itself is in fine shape, no rips or tears. However I can take the boot and rotate it on the "big end" of the joint. Its like the band itself isn't tight enough. All the other boots and clamps are tight. I plan to replace the boot now, but curious as to how many others have seen this? IE no rip or tear in the boot, yet grease is getting out.

Oh..and one other interesting find...I removed the rear bumper for better access to pull the muffler and the transmission...and found the cable release for the rear trunk. So you have to remove the bumper to gain access to the release? Haha

dachrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

I've experienced the same. The grease gets hot and flows so if there is any space between the boot and the CV joint, it will come out and be flung all over the place. Makes a huge mess.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #3

I don't know if this is possible with '04s.

I removed my rear bumper and located the emergency release cable to behind the driver's side bumperette. I keep an appropriately sized trox driver in the front trunk so I can remove the reaR bumperette if i need to gain access to the rear trunk.

Normally access is from the rear wheel well.

Hope this helps.

thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote