Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #1

Can someone please school me a bit on 987 Boxsters?

I'm thinking of pulling the plug on my 2002 S model. Long story why. I do like driving the Boxster, specifically the S model, and I am thinking of looking for a 987 series Boxster S model.

Can anyone give me a quick lo down on what to look for, the prevalent issues, significant model year changes, common problems, etc.

Also, does the 987 have a immobilizer system like the 986 does? Located in the same place? Is it a pain in the neck like the 986 model?

I was looking for a great 987 forum like this one, but can't seem to find one. What's the best forum to learn about 987's?

Thanks to all.

Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I'm thinking of pulling the plug on my 2002 S model. Long story why. I do like driving the Boxster, specifically the S model, and I am thinking of looking for a 987 series Boxster S model.

Can anyone give me a quick lo down on what to look for, the prevalent issues, significant model year changes, common problems, etc.
The 2005-2008 are considered 987.1 versions while 2009-2012 are referred to as 987.2. There are tons more 987.1s available vs the 987.2 because of the mkt crash affecting the sales of Porsches from late 2008 on. The 987.1s have the Gen III IMS while the 987.2s have the 9a1 engine w/o an IMS. The HVAC toggles seem to be cruddy on early 987.1s but better in 07 & 08. Water pumps seem to be an issue regardless of the version. In the 987.2, the S has DFI while the base has port FI. The 987.2 is also when PDK was introduced. This flipped the pricing equation as 987.1s with Tiptronics are worth $2-3K less than a manual, while 987.2s with PDK are worth more than a manual.

Quote:
Also, does the 987 have a immobilizer system like the 986 does? Located in the same place? Is it a pain in the neck like the 986 model?
Yes. Yes. Probably. My 08 had covered parking when I was working and stays in a garage at night, so it doesn't see much outside time. I've never had issues with drains clogging, but it might be more to do with limited outside time.

Quote:
I was looking for a great 987 forum like this one, but can't seem to find one. What's the best forum to learn about 987's?
Planet-9 is very Boxster - Cayman centric. They have 987, 981, and 718 sections and are a friendly bunch.

I'm probably forgetting something and others can add their thoughts, but both 987.1 and 987.2 are very reliable. Since there are so few 987.2s and esp S versions, you generally need to know what you're looking for and jump on it when you find it, as the new engine, new PDK trans, and low production #s work in favor of the seller. You have more selection with the 987.1, so you can be picky.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 11-15-2018 at 03:02 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:30 AM   #3

To add to what Terry said. Porsche moved the immobilizer under the dash but installed the unit that controls the lights under the seat instead. I guess they didn't quite learn from their previous mistake as it gets wet easily. Of course the cayman would have less chance than the boxster of having a water leak inside. On that note, there's a lot more caymans than boxsters. When it comes to reliability, I never get people asking for a 2.7 or 2.9 motor but i do get lots of request for cayman 987.1 3.4's. The transmissions are pretty good and I never hear of any of them having issues. Everyone raves about the PDK though. Even diehard manual guys seem to love it. The interior is better looking than the 986 but less durable. Porsche continued to use that crappy soft touch paint. Some of the interior pieces are as fragile as the 986 but harder to replace if/when they break.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #4

Garage
The 987.1 still has the IMS bearing, and, although much rarer, IMS issues are not unknown. Replacing an IMS bearing requires cracking the engine open, so it's REALLY expensive. Aside from that, water pumps, air-oil separators, and cam chain tensioners are about it for common issues.

astrayelmgod is offline   Reply With Quote