Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #1

Season is over.

My daughter mentioned snow coming so I decided to put car away since with snow comes salt. I went out yesterday at lunch and cleaned. I planned on parking in my garage. Mother calls and says she cleaned her garage and has space. Now with my paranoid mind I am thinking great but now i need to really get moving to get the car over there before the snow. So last night I pulled the hardtop off, ran a kerosene heater outside the car to get the temp up before I raised the roof. The temp finally gets up to a reasonable temperature so I raise the roof. Well the plastic is not conforming back to shape as well as I would like so I continue to run my heater and then run a electric heater inside the car. Gets pretty warm in car and I push plastic back to shape. Looking good. Then I realize I still need (probably not really) to run compressor and blow out all the areas where grit would catch in the wheelwells. Done. Then It dawns on me that I need to do the tire pressure. Geez, tires are all down around 20 PSI. No wonder not driving so good on highway. Hand pump each up to 35psi.
Drive to moms house at 9 PM. Give a light wax, set glue traps, disconnect battery and cover. Busy night.
Still to do, get over and change oil (annual) and spray misc nuts and bolts beneath car with wd40 and clean out radiators.
I guess the reason I am writing, it's a lot of work.
Anyone else, same experience. I'm sure some are worse.

DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #2

Dave, where does the "blue traps" go..? Never hear of them

PS: stuck at RIC airport because the snow you are talking about (many flights cancelled).. :-(
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
It's always one season or another...I think I'll go for a drive today.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:45 PM   #4

Cold snap here in NW Florida...high in Mid-50’s. Almost wore shoes and long pants.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Dave, where does the "blue traps" go..? Never hear of them
(
Read again... glue traps

presumably to catch small rodents preventing them from nesting inside car and creating havoc.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Cold snap here in NW Florida...high in Mid-50’s. Almost wore shoes and long pants.
Now that is just mean...!!!
gman1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #7

Snowing now, salt trucks out. Feeling justified now.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #8
MWS

Well, where I live... "it's beginning to look a lot like".....Thanksgiving (lol). I actually had to shovel my drive yesterday, and that's just not right. As far as fall clean-up, I've got leaves covered in snow...which sometimes isn't unusual, but this year the snow covered leaves on still on the trees. Sigh.

Didn't do all of my normal winter storage maintenance yet, thinking that there would be time for one more top down drive. Guess I should abandon that fantasy...
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #9

So you have an excuse to visit your mom. How sad for so many who can't any more.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #10

Never... Winter is still a driving season for me, just with a hardtop and a set of snow tires.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #11

Fortunately our winters have the odd days of decent weather and no snow, so I put mine in a semi stored state...
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:17 PM   #12

I watched the weather on the news the other night and saw that snow was coming. I grabbed my electric impact wrench and jumped in the pickup. Over to the storage unit to pick up my snow tires, mounted on wheels already, then to the garage to change the summer tires to winter. Done in about a half hour, including cleaning the drains in the rear compartment where the top folds. I was hoping to put the hardtop on, but that will have to wait until it clears up next week and the soft top dries out. I use my 2001 S all winter, provided there is not deep snow or too much ice. I put the Cayman away for the winter, though. It is sitting with a battery charger installed, in my garage, waiting for spring.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 01:36 PM   #13

Garage
Stuff some steel wool in the exhaust pipes to keep rodents out. Tape a note inside the car so you remember to take it out. Put a plastic sheet underneath the car and duct tape it to the floor. It makes a vapor barrier. Moth balls help too, and dryer sheets because mice don’t like the smell. Every little bit helps.

Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote