Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #1

Changing colour of vent covers

My Spyder has the lovely combination of red / black trim , except for the front and side vents that are silver.
I checked to see if black ones are available but they are not , hence why it was supplied with silver ( titanium).
The price of these are well over a hundred each so not cheap to buy a set and get painted. Also my trusted painter advised not to as the paint wont last well. So i never had anything wrapped before but that looks the only choice now ? Anyone else been down this path ?

mahrez12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #2

Garage
I painted my front bumper grills and side vent grills about a year ago and they have held up well so far... I used a paint that was made for use on plastic. Apparently it bonds to/with the plastic.
For the side vents I just removed and painted the grill inserts, not the outer trim. I painted the front grills while I had the bumper off to clean the radiators. Its simple enough to remove and repaint them if they start to look rough in the future.

Last edited by A8ked; 11-12-2018 at 11:25 AM. Reason: typo
A8ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Black plastidip works great on the front and side vent louvres. It has a nice satin finish and unlike paint, it won't chip.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

Garage
I too painted mine with vinyl paint... it was just about a month and a half ago so no idea how long it will last. Since it is a good idea to remove the bumper to clean the radiators regularly it doesn't take a lot more time to touch up the grills each time while you are at it.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote