Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 08:37 AM   #1

Sudden coolant loss

Suddenly lost my coolantr in my '01 base.
No leaks. No smoking exhaust.
HELP

TPRJIMMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPRJIMMI View Post
HELP
what color is your oil after the coolant loss?
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If it drained out of the overflow above the passenger rear wheel you probably had air in the system. Did you top up the coolant recently?
Old 11-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #4
MWS

Without more details, I'd vote for the cap.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 AM   #5

Quote:
HELP
same thing happened to my '04 recently....loss of coolant without any external signs of a leak on the ground and no smoke from the engine....it was the infamous 'coolant expansion tank cracking' issue that affects a very high percentage of the 986's.....the coolant was leaking out of the cracked expansion tank and settling in the pan under the carpet in the trunk...the pan is deep enough to contain the coolant before it spills over onto the ground.....

good luck...

cliff
Metallic Carmon Red
18" Carrera Wheels

Last edited by CliffA; 11-12-2018 at 07:24 AM.
CliffA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #6

Happy,Happy!!!

I never thought of such an issue. The tank has to be the problem. Now to buy one and drive 700 miles back to where it sits. Cost me a car rental to get home but this solution makes me happy happy. Thanks to all of you who responded. Nice people!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #7

Quote:
I never thought of such an issue. The tank has to be the problem. Now to buy one and drive 700 miles back to where it sits. Cost me a car rental to get home but this solution makes me happy happy. Thanks to all of you who responded. Nice people!
If it is your tank, that’s not an easy solution... easy diagnosis, but swapping a coolant tank in these things isn’t a quick job unfortunately. There are a few articles on the matter and a couple are quite creative. It’s also easy to check. Your trunk carpet might be wet, or wet underneath.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:48 AM   #8

I'm going on a hope and a prayer but it seems likely to be the problem; no smoke, no oil problem and when I puy anti-freeze in it magically disappeared in a short while. ! didn't know about the area beneath the trunk holding a large amount. I read the how-to's and shouldn't have a problem with the repair. I'm going to post a query on OEM or after market tanks. Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #9

Garage
Don’t go aftermarket on the tank has usually been the response to tank replacements.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
I'm going on a hope and a prayer but it seems likely to be the problem; no smoke, no oil problem and when I puy anti-freeze in it magically disappeared in a short while. ! didn't know about the area beneath the trunk holding a large amount. I read the how-to's and shouldn't have a problem with the repair. I'm going to post a query on OEM or after market tanks. Thanks
OEM is the only way to go. You'll find that advice prevalent upon these pages.

However... if you choose to go aftermarket please post on You Tube both of the videos of you installing the tanks. The first video should show your step by step process when installing the aftermarket.

The second video can be the same "how to", but with the OEM tank which highly we recommend.

Cheers!