Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 12:14 PM   #1

Otto's adventures w/2003 S

So I have posted a few things in the New Members forum as well as on a few other threads. I decided to start my own thread that will detail my trials and tribulations with my newly acquired 2003 S.
Just to review...
I found the car on CL in Santa Cruz. Seller was very cool. Said it had zero compression in #5, no inter mix and no metal in oil. He had recently replace the water pump, alternator, RMS, IMS w/LN ceramic unit, had the tip trans fully serviced, new axle boots, new rotors, pads, etc...I got the car for a very good price. (see Found on CL thread) The seller was really great, open and honest.

And I also scored a Hardtop from another CL seller for another great price (see CL Thread)

My Father-in-law has a shop locally and thankfully allows me to use his facility. I have some experience with wrenching, but its just a hobby. (see New member intro for my other projects). I am a middle school teacher and father of a very busy HS junior. She plays water polo and is an accomplished violinist. My hobby time is very limited.

Originally I was going to try and address the issue of cylinder #5 in car. I scoped the hole (couldn't really see much) and ran my own compression tests. #5 was indeed not pumping up. I pulled the exhaust manifold and could see the exhaust valves in their seats. The problem had to be with an intake valve..top of the head, hard to reach.
Because I was not even getting a bump on the needle during the compression test, I figured that one of the intake valves must be hung open.

It was at that time I decided to drop the motor. Because of my access to the luxuries of a repair shop, I was able to drop motor and trans together. Lots of great resources on this forum as well as books made a very intimidating job manageable.

Once the motor was out, I could dig deeper. I pulled the cam cover and hiding behind the intake cam was the forward-most intake lifter for #5 sitting down in its bore. Kinda hard to see...

Off came the cams

...now its easier to see the deflated lifter.

Next came the cam cradle/lifter guide.....and what I was able to see with that out of the way.

Pulling the spring out of the way...a little damage. Not bad.

The lifter did not want to come out the way the others did. I tried a magnet wrapped in a shop cloth and that didn't work. However, once I had the cradle off the stem, i was able to easily push it out. Must have been hung up on the stem by some of the shrapnel?

I tugged on the stem a little to see if it was able to slide in the guide....but nope. So, the head needed to come off.
Once off, I could see the valve had contacted the piston, but not bad.

..and of course, the valve still hanging open...

So, that's where I'm at. Hope to send the head out this week for rebuild.

Any guesses as to what happened? Spring broke first, allowing the clips and retainer to migrate? Once no spring to pull valve back to seat, contact with the piston and then bent?

Last edited by Ottomotion; 11-04-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Ottomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:28 PM   #2

Nice work. Are you going to leave the piston contact alone and just have a valve job on #5 or this head and put it back together? I don't have anything constructive to offer you, other than I applaud your work and I'm curious and will be following. Please keep us posted.
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Thanks for the write up. I look forward to following your work.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #4

Yes...that's the plan. I will emery cloth the shiny spots on the piston to make sure there are no burs that can lead to hot spot detonation. They are not really bad at all.

Send the head out for machine.

I figure I should replace all the springs with new as well as a set of lifters for this bank...
Old 11-04-2018, 03:52 PM   #5

Following this. Looks like a great thread!
L1ttleBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:58 AM   #6

Great job Otto,

I believe that Len Hoffman (Hoffman Automotive) always replace ALL the valve springs for the same reason, hopefully the valve was not damaged and you can assemble back the engine with only a head job.

The car looks great and you should end with a nice driver, congratulations
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:28 PM   #7

Porsches love curves....just not in their valves...

The lifter guts and valve retainer and keepers did nick the lifter bore.

So, I am in need of a good replacement. Not sure if its the same as the 2.7 or if 03-04 3.2 years will innerchange with other years?
Maybe someone can chime in....
Anyways, please let me know if you have one. They are on epay, but I would like to deal with a member here if possible.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #8

Garage
You don't think a light hone and polish would dress that up?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:19 PM   #9

You know, my gut says yes. Heck, I am inclined to try just lapping in a replacement valve and spring and call it good.
...but I get to reading about the 03-04's having lifter problems and being prone to breaking springs....etc
I have almost talked myself into a new set of springs and lifters for the head and 'might as well' pick up a replacement lifter carrier....

Last edited by Ottomotion; 11-05-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:18 AM   #10
MWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottomotion View Post
I have almost talked myself into a new set of springs and lifters for the head and 'might as well' pick up a replacement lifter carrier....
The "might-as-wells" will always get you. That being said, and considering how far you've torn down (and not to mention the price you picked the car up for), to me it seems the "might-as-wells" are almost no-brainers...and far better than the "wish-I-would-haves". I try to live by "do it once and do it right", with heavy emphasis on "try". Lol.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWS View Post
The "might-as-wells" will always get you. That being said, and considering how far you've torn down (and not to mention the price you picked the car up for), to me it seems the "might-as-wells" are almost no-brainers...and far better than the "wish-I-would-haves". I try to live by "do it once and do it right", with heavy emphasis on "try". Lol.
Yeah nothing worse than trying to figure out the “how much time, effort and money” equation. I’m usually of the sort to just do it all while you can. These cars in particular. They aren’t very hard to work on, but things are hard to get to, and that’s half the battle!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #12

So I will swallow my ego and just ask....when I was picking up after removing the head, this was lying on the ground with my tools. It had to have come from the head. Any help? Whats it called? Where does it go? Pics help the most....
Old 11-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #13

that thing reminds me of an inline fuel filter (not FI)..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #14

Garage
It goes into the hole in the head where the valve solenoid goes. The solenoid goes in on top of that.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:48 PM   #15

Thanks....I don't have the head right now since it is in for machine so I will try and figure it out when I get it back....

I have been looking for a replacement cam follower housing and it has been interesting. No shortage on ebay, but hard to figure out which one is correct based on part number. The R in the part number apparently is not "R for Right". Most available seem to be for "right" side. The part number is actually the same for 2.7 and 3.2 from 2000-2008 and it can be for drivers or passenger side.(please correct me if anyone knows different)
With that being said, I am leaning toward cleaning mine up and using it.

Last edited by Ottomotion; 11-08-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 11-15-2018, 07:19 PM   #16

While waiting for the head to come back from machine, I did a 'might as well as long as its out' change of the motor mount.

....and finally got the head back. All new springs and a good cleaning. Can you spot the new valve?

Wont be able to do much until after the holiday.....
Old 11-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #17

I dont know why all my pics are sideways...they look right before I download. Luddite...
Old 11-15-2018, 09:04 PM   #18
Custom User Title Here

Garage
They don't look sideways to me. That kind of thing happens a lot.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 05:23 PM   #19

So the holiday has come and gone and now back to the project.
The lifter bore polished up nicely so I will be reusing the old one.
I emery clothed the piston top and smoothed out the nicks. It didn't take much. Really glad the damage was so minimal. (sorry, no pics)

I am ready to mount the head back on. Regarding the mystery pic above, I know where it goes, but not sure which way it goes in. Maybe someone can chime in...

Does the metal button face out towards the cam cover (pic 1) or does the seal with yellow triangle end face out toward the cam cover? (pic 2) The later seems to fit the best but I obviously don't want to screw this up,,,,

Old 11-28-2018, 11:53 AM   #20

Garage
Picture #2 shiny side down the triangle part up.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote