Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 AM   #1

Need Help Identifying Air Filter

I finally got around to wanting to replace the air filter in my 99 Boxster only to discover it has been swapped out with an after-market setup. Maybe a K&N or cheap knock-off? There are NO identification marks on it anywhere. The cone filter itself is 8" in length (not including the plastic tube part). The end of the filter appears to be metal.

Does anyone know the brand?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Porsche-Eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #2

could be any brand. Don't think its a k&n, but they are all pretty much the same thing anyway.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 AM   #3

i think kn has a lookup; you have length so just determine the inside diameter at the coupler and perhaps filter diameter at each end and you should be able to find a replacement.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

That's the Evolution Motorsports intake. I've got the same one on my 986.
deathsled986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsled986 View Post
That's the Evolution Motorsports intake. I've got the same one on my 986.
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys! Now off to find a replacement filter. Again, many thanks - best forum ever!
Old 10-31-2018, 01:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche-Eh View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys! Now off to find a replacement filter. Again, many thanks - best forum ever!
In the condition that filter is in, a Kleenex would be a vast improvement. The oiled filters are not the best unless you are very good about maintenance and proper oiling. Also, it would be worth an engine detail while you have it opened. Your motor will run cooler overall. A clean engine to me is a hold over from the air cooled days of VW's etc. Even though these cars are "water cooled", airflow is still required to help the overall cooling, not to mention the cramped conditions in the engine compartment of these cars. A clean engine will run better, and longer IMO.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

I have the same intake and I'm coming up on replacement time soon. I was going to find the biggest paper cone filter I could fit in there and run with that, but I haven't done any digging yet.

AEM has a filter finder based on dimensions on their website. See if that helps you.

Last edited by alm001; 11-01-2018 at 12:31 PM.
alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I would look for a comparable non-oiled cone filter that fits.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm001 View Post
I have the same intake and I'm coming up on replacement time soon. I was going to find the biggest paper cone filter I could fit in there and run with that, but I haven't done any digging yet.

AEM has a filter finder based on dimensions on their website. See if that helps you.
Evolution MotorSports replied to my inquiry and the intake uses an EVO 100 air filter and the cost is $49.

As for oil vs non-oil that is a whole can'o'worms that we don't need to re-open here.