Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2018, 05:43 PM   #21

We have 2 garages one is heated with a 220v electric heater and the other with a natural gas heater. I would only install the natural gas. The electric is loud and expensive. Good luck with the 1st world problems

bbiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbiela View Post
We have 2 garages one is heated with a 220v electric heater and the other with a natural gas heater. I would only install the natural gas. The electric is loud and expensive. Good luck with the 1st world problems
I can't do natural gas, but I can do LP. The problem, though, is twofold: moisture, and combustion gasses. Neither are welcome in my shop. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I can't do natural gas, but I can do LP. The problem, though, is twofold: moisture, and combustion gasses. Neither are welcome in my shop. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I believe a vented LP heater would eliminate your concerns . Where folks get into trouble is with un-vented heaters , they are cheaper to purchase but being un-vented the exhaust by product ( gasses and moisture ) goes into the space being heated .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:01 AM   #24

I had an outside vented suspended gas heater in the garage of my last house. It was very quick to heat the garage up to room temperature. Even the floor and tools would warm up fast which was really nice. It was no less loud than the electric heater I have now because they both have fans. The only downside I found was that it was less efficient at keeping the temperature in the garage just above freezing which is what I like to do when I'm not working in there.
CdnRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM   #25

First step: carpet is in !!

Old 11-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #26
MWS

I forgot another quick tip...to help keep the door sealed tight to weatherstripping, stand a couple 2x4s (one one each side) next to the door tracks and use some "quick clamps" to attach to track...this will stop wind from pushing the door away from seals. If you have a door opener, just remember not to open the door when blocked...or better yet, unplug it when doors are blocked.

MWS is offline   Reply With Quote