Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Silver vs Black Gauge Cluster Trim

Did the base '97 - '00 Boxster come from the factory with both black and silver trim on the gauges? Was the silver trim an option?

I'm looking at used gauge clusters...Some have silver trim rings, while others are black. I just don't want to buy something with aftermarket upgrades. One of the clusters I looked at had silver trim rings on the gauges, and a silver panel across the bottom where the idiot lights are located.

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
Did the base '97 - '00 Boxster come from the factory with both black and silver trim on the gauges? Was the silver trim an option?

I'm looking at used gauge clusters...Some have silver trim rings, while others are black. I just don't want to buy something with aftermarket upgrades. One of the clusters I looked at had silver trim rings on the gauges, and a silver panel across the bottom where the idiot lights are located.
When I bought my 2000 Base a few years ago (in Florida), I was told the silver gauge surround and silver emergency brake handle trim were OE upgrades. Can you check by the list of accessories under the front hood?
Old 10-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #3

I believe that the OEM silver trim rings were installed on the S models beginning with the introduction of the S in 2000. There were aftermarket trim rings available. I have a set on my car.

This thread has some information: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/65716-added-trim-rings-996-instrument-cluster.html

I also added a 996 gauge cluster like the person who started the thread. I think it makes the dash look more complete. (To me the stock 3-gauge 986 cluster looks like Porsche left something off.) I understand that many owners prefer to keep their cars stock, so that is a valid approach.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #4

My 2000 S has silver trim and white faces as stock.........love the three gauge cluster....the 918 has one