Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Heavy vibration from stock speakers

Hey everyone - I have 2002 S with the Bose package that includes the rear mounted woofer. Even with the bass turned all the way down on the head unit, I get a really annoying vibration/drone on bass-heavy songs. Has anyone else experienced this / found a solution?

speedyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
MWS

I don't have the Bose system (thankfully, as I'm not a big Bose fan), but here are a couple of suggestions...

Try *loosely* covering the port on the front of the box to dampen the harmonics from the air being pushed around..see if that makes any difference. Also, the enclosure uses down firing speakers...try raising the height of the enclosure by placing some spacers to lift the box slightly above the shelf. Finally, it could be just the enclosure itself resonating, if that's the case, not a simple fix (requires some re-engineering and changing the speakers).

You mentioned vibration...it could be that the box is just not firmly attached to the shelf...but I was reading between the lines and assumed you meant harmonic vibration.

All told, the simplest solution is just to unplug the sub. . FWIW, I am perfectly happy with just the doors providing bass, but then again, I upgraded the door speakers and am using passive crossovers...which I suppose would be another suggestion: you could add a crossover to the line and dial up the Hz until the drone disappears.

I guess my brain is not processing as logically as it usually does...I suppose the first thing I should have asked is if this a "new" issue or if it's just always been that way. Duh.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:27 PM   #3

There are some pretty nice powered sub enclosures (Kicker, Alpine, etc) that work really well in these cars if you are considering scrapping the Bose one or if it is shot.
robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I did plenty of research before purchasing the Kenwood KSC-SW11. Mounted at the top of the footwell passenger side. I'm quite satisfied.

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KSC-SW11-Compact-Enclosed-Subwoofer/dp/B00BO8O9XQ
Old 09-05-2018, 04:36 PM   #5

I remember that the 987 Cayman owners with the BOSE system were complaining about the booming issues as well, and the simple solution was to stuff the BOSE sub woofer with cheap pillow fillings..

I never end trying this tip as didn't really bother me, but you should find plenty of treads regarding this topic on the Planet9 forum
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #6

I experience the same thing. Like a farting sound instead of bass that you just feel. It's pretty annoying. Subscribed.
ScottAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #7

I'm not 100% familiar with the Bose system for these cars, but if it's Bose it most likely has a tuned port. Ports 'can' be notorious for port noise. See if you can find the port and get close to it. Block it off and see if it goes away. Your sub could also be blown (likely) in which case it will just sound like crap no matter what you do. As mentioned, check first to see that it is mounted properly, but if its still making nasty sounds even turned down it is probable it is dead. You can remove it and take it to a car stereo shop and have it tested as well.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote