Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2006, 10:49 AM   #1

Meteor Metallic/Cayman 19 Inch Wheels

I am spec-ing an '07 987.

Seal Gray is no longer available. It has been replaced with "Meteor metallic. Does anyone have any pics of this color? I have not seen one live.

Also, I am leaning towards the Cayman S wheels. Does anyone have these on their 987. i would love to see a picture.

Thanks.

todd1ada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd1ada
I am spec-ing an '07 987.

Seal Gray is no longer available. It has been replaced with "Meteor metallic. Does anyone have any pics of this color? I have not seen one live.

Also, I am leaning towards the Cayman S wheels. Does anyone have these on their 987. i would love to see a picture.

Thanks.

Hi,

Not a fan of the 19's. These will hamper the car's performance. The best compromise would be 18's (18" rubber is cheaper too...).

Big, big wheels are currently in vogue (but for how long..??), but they're getting so big that the cars' are starting to look like they're all wheels and detract from the overall styling. Just my humble $0.02. Good Luck!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:21 AM   #3

I think the original poster means the stock Cayman S wheels, which are 18s; I did see a photo of a Boxster wearing them, somewhere - probably on a dealers website, but I sure can't remember which one. My impression was that they looked OK, but somehow the 18 in. Boxster S rims looked better - on that car - maybe it's just familiarity? I do think the Cayman S 18s look great - on a Cayman...

I'd also like to know if Seal Grey was the same as the new Meteor grey.

OOPS - my bad, it's a little unclear from the OP; the stock Cayman S wheels are 18s, but he references 19s?

Last edited by John Y; 09-05-2006 at 11:23 AM.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Y
I think the original poster means the stock Cayman S wheels, which are 18s; I did see a photo of a Boxster wearing them, somewhere - probably on a dealers website, but I sure can't remember which one. My impression was that they looked OK, but somehow the 18 in. Boxster S rims looked better - on that car - maybe it's just familiarity? I do think the Cayman S 18s look great - on a Cayman...

I'd also like to know if Seal Grey was the same as the new Meteor grey.

OOPS - my bad, it's a little unclear from the OP; the stock Cayman S wheels are 18s, but he references 19s?
My Typo-- Meant Cayman S '18's. They look great on the porscheusa "build your own" website, but I have never seen them on a 987 in person.

Meteor seems to be a lot darker than seal gray...almost like basalt...again from pics only...wondering what it looks like in person.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #5

I'd love to see a pic too. I've ordered an Atlas Grey 987 for (hopefully) October delivery with them on. I hadn't seen a Boxster wearing them but as John Y says they looked great on a few Caymans. I wanted 5 spokes because the 16 spokes I currently have on my TT are a bugger to keep clean and I wasn't sure the 19's were worth it - though I do think they look excellent.
nakkaned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #6

I put a set of 18 inch Cayman S wheels on my Seal Gray 987:

I like them and being that the boxster is just a permanent top away from being a cayman I think they look just as good on both cars

/b
prOk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prOk
I put a set of 18 inch Cayman S wheels on my Seal Gray 987:

I like them and being that the boxster is just a permanent top away from being a cayman I think they look just as good on both cars

/b
I like them a lot. Thanks, The lobster fork style, as well as the std. 17 inch wheel, are too chessegrater-ish and highlight (what I think is) a somewhat oversized air intake. The Cayman wheels look more muscular and somehow make the air intake look a little more subtle.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:36 AM   #8

anyone know what they weigh, the Boxster S 18 and the Cayman S 18?

John Y is offline   Reply With Quote