Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

spare ignition key

The 2002 S I will be getting only has one key, it's the key with the buttons to lock/unlock and alarm ? Anyway I'm guessing this is a pricey item from Porsche ? Are the better locksmiths equipped to provide the remote access key head ? And to be able to program it ? I really don't want to spend 200.00 for a key !

rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Damn Yankee

Garage
Get ready for sticker shock!

TO
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

There is no way around this cheaper than going through Porsche. They engineer it that way. The keys cost a small fortune, save all your change, and big bills too, you're going to need them! You will be in shock when you get the bill!
Goodbiketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

There are two parts to a Porsche key: the immobilizer transmitter which is built into the fob part of the key and the blade which is cut to operate the mechanical portion of the ignition switch.

You can buy both parts (un-programmed key fob and blank blade) fairly affordably online.

Some key shops (and a few online key cutters) can cut the blank ignition key to operate the ignition switch.

The more difficult part is programming the immobilizer transmitter in the key fob to match the immobilizer code of the car (the immobilizer is under the drivers seat and is part of the anti-theft system). If the code in the key fob does not match the code of the immobilizer under the seat (even if the key turns the ignition), the engine won't start.

The programming of a key to an immobilizer can only be done by someone with a PIWIS, which is a Porsche test system that can only be leased from Porsche (can't be purchased).

All dealers have a PIWIS and a few indy repair shops. Hence, those are the only places that can program your new key properly and they tend to charge a pretty penny.

And just in case you think about obtaining an immobilizer and two keys from a recycler or salvage yard, you'll also need the ECU and will need to swap all three (key, immobilizer, and ECU) components at the same time because the ECU is coded to the immobilizer.

About now, you're probably ready to start cussing at Porsche about this situation. All I can say is Welcome to the Porsche "single key problem" club!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-17-2013 at 07:45 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
I really don't want to spend 200.00 for a key !
$200 would be a bargain. A spare key cost me $350 six years ago.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

thstone, how much is the programming with PIWIS? and the rest of the costs for that matter.

I'm thinking of just getting a second one made... seems like a lot of trouble
alanqning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanqning View Post
thstone, how much is the programming with PIWIS? and the rest of the costs for that matter.
The key itself can be found on eBay and other online sources. Do a search for Boxster keys.

The cost for progamming will vary depending on the dealer/shop and your relationship with them but an hour of labor is typical ($150).

I spent $345 at the dealer for my new 996 key (time was more important than money at that moment).
1979 911 SC
Old 12-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #8

Found this on youtube

interesting, I have like this micro key that is tiny. I think its an emergency key. Can this be used completely in place of the other key?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:11 AM   #9

Garage
When I was looking for my Boxster, I wanted one that had two keys, which I got with mine. If it had not, there would have been additional negotiation for a second key. I was reading on this forum for several months and learned up front how expensive a second key was. Thanks guys! This forum is awesome!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
It's a similar immobilizer setup to Volkswagens of the time, with the router-cut key and the Immo pellet. Those keys are equally pricey.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #11

If you do buy a key head off eBay, make sure it has the barcoded tag on it and they guarantee it will work for your model car or you can get your money back.

Sunset Imports in Washington State runs specials on them from time to time. Ain't cheap any way you try to tackle it. The key head and blade aren't cheap and then you have to have it programmed at a stealership...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

i think my fob buttons are worn. bec when i press them they rarely work but if i take off the cover and press the buttons directly they activate perfectly fine.

so if i buy another oem fob on ebay, can i just switch over electronics over and key head ?
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryoguy@mac.com View Post
i think my fob buttons are worn. bec when i press them they rarely work but if i take off the cover and press the buttons directly they activate perfectly fine.

so if i buy another oem fob on ebay, can i just switch over electronics over and key head ?
Yes, that should work. You'll have to switch over the key blade and immobilizer transmitter.
1979 911 SC
Old 04-22-2014, 02:41 PM   #14

thanks stone !
embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:44 PM   #15

I guess the question is why do you need a second key.

If its just plain lost, fell out of your pocket or destroyed somehow then you'll need a full immobilizer matched key, which a dealership can provide from just your VIN from what I have read.

If its to get in when you have locked your key in the car or trunks then there's option B, the key that will unlock the doors so you can press the trunk releases, but will not start the car.

That option B key would be ~$25.

As a mater of fact I heard of someone that had a plastic key.

I should try to duplicate my own key and 3D print one in plastic to see if that really works.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)

Last edited by jb92563; 04-22-2014 at 03:47 PM.
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #16

the key from what I have seen comes in three parts, the blade, the remote, and the immobilizer chip. the necessary components are the blade, and the chip (which looks like a small glass capsule). the remote, although convenient is not necessary for the operation. on e-bay there are multiple sellers which sell a fob at a substantial savings from dealerships, to replace the old worn out ones. some of the ebay keys are not made with detachable blades, so you will need to have the blades cut to match the car's mechanical cut. then you are ready to replace the transmitter and chip into the new body. at this time, I am not aware of any DIY methods of matching a chip to the car other than dealer programming. if anyone does know how I would appreciate any further information.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #17

Garage
If the key at the dealership was only $200 then I would have bought 2! My box only had one key. I couldn't believe it when I found out it was $370CAD just for the key plus labor to program.

My local shop has a PIWIS but they're unable to program new keys. I was forced to have it done at the stealership.
markskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
Registered Boxster abuser

Please note just because the shop has a PIWIS does not mean they can code the key to the car. The code they need to program the immobilizer can only be received from the dealer and the dealer will not just give these codes out.

If you just need a key to unlock and start the car, these you can get from a lock smith and upper end key cutters as long as you have a working key. They just read the chip in your key and emulate it into another chip. It will not remotely unlock and lock the car, trunk, or windows. It will unlock the doors manually and will start the car if inserted in the ignition and turned.
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:13 AM   #19

There is a cheap solution: Take the transponder pill out of the key, and tape it to the inside of the ignition trim piece with electrical tape, and just make a copies of the key blade for $30 bucks via keysinthepost.com or a competitor (it's simple: you just upload them a pic of your current key blade and they mail you a new blade). That's all!

Full description of the mod/hack at:
Ultra Cheap Second/Backup (Valet) Key Hack/Mod - Rennlist Discussion Forums
emdls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:29 PM   #20

Garage
Works great. I just moved the pill from my only key to the trim piece and it start every time. I just ordered 2 emergency keys from keysinthepost.com. just under $50 bucks US.