Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2018, 06:30 AM   #1

Leaking Water & Cover Questions

I bought a 98 Boxster a month or so ago and I do not currently have a place to store my car out of the elements where I live. It has been raining the past couple of days and this morning I noticed that the passenger side floor was wet. It looks like the water is coming in right under the speaker in the door, almost as it were coming from inside the door itself. I plan on inspecting the door seals this afternoon. Anyone have a similar issue? Anything else I should be looking for?

This brings me to my second question. Anyone know of a good car cover I look into? I'm looking for something that fits correctly, is weatherproof, and is compatible enough to store in the car.

Thanks in advance!

Cjamerson1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Make sure that there is not water under the driver's seat and it there is clean it up ASAP. (Immobilizer/Central locking unit is there)

A few places to look for leaks:
The drip trays around the engine compartment get torn, or the drain hole becomes clogged. Recently a few people have posted about repairing and replacing them.

The drains in front of the windshield on either side of the batter become clogged. That area can fill with water causing damage and leaks into the car.

Door seals... Make sure the windows are operating correctly. 986 windows are a little complex and the regulators usually begin to fail when they are 15-20 years old.
The window seals should keep water out if they are intact, but if water gets into the door it can leak inside the car if the plastic (foam) door liner is compromised.

Tech articles here related to the body should be helpful: https://www.pelicanparts.com/boxster/boxster_tech.htm

Last possibility: AC condenser drain. Not sure if it's a problem on the 986s, but have seen it in a Cayenne.

Covers: I keep my cars outside most of the time and have gone through a lot of covers. How much do you want to spend?
A nice "Porsche" brand outdoor cover is probably best.

Next: ($250-500) Custom fit covers with Noah or Weathershield HD material worked well for me and looked good for over two years before they started to deteriorate.

Cheap: I bought some ~$50 custom fit "all weather" covers. They fell apart in less than a year and let dust and water through.

Right now I am trying "Duck Covers Weather Defender Car Covers" size 170"x60"x48". Not a custom fit, but close enough for the money. For around $50 I'm happy with them. They are 'water resistant' and look like they will hold up well for about a year.

Last edited by 78F350; 07-23-2018 at 07:38 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Window regulators are an issue with these cars. The plastic between the door card and the door needs to be installed and in good shape.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:58 PM   #4

I used a Noah car cover made for the Boxster for about 5 years and it was as good as new after that time. An inch of ice or six inches of snow, no problem. Monsoon. Even walnuts falling from a tree. Certainly 50 knot winds. Upon removal, the top and metal on the car was always dry. More importantly, the inside of the car was too. Used it with a battery maintainer inside the car for weeks at a time in winter.

california car covers (calcarcover.com) was my vendor.

Came with a bag to store it in. After it dried out, it stored nicely in the bag in the front trunk. I bought an optional lock and metal rope that would go through gromets and lock to secure the cover but I never used them as my neighborhood was pretty secure.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote