Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2018, 06:57 AM   #21

For me, the late 90's Boxsters are the least desirable. Starting in 2000 they had bigger engines, up to 3.2 liters and better interiors and accessories. And I'd want everything to work well. Don't buy a fixxer upper. Buy a car to enjoy.

I'd be pooling my pennies and buy nothing older than a 03 S model. Glass rear window is really worth it.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree and it's not even a full leather car either. Find a"S" they're much better.

azlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:56 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp17 View Post
I don't know why anyone would disengage a perfectly working electric top. But hey...
because it wasn't a perfectly working top
deathsled986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:42 AM   #23

Why,because of the most serious problems, the '97 and '98 builds had some unique problems outlined here. '99s are the good ones of that era.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #24

I looked at a 2002 911 cab on Friday. It was nice but reality hit and I thought I could easily spend another 5-7k and still not be where I want to be as far as condition. That and the 986 superiority helped with my decision. As I am sure mentioned, pay now or pay later. I paid a bit more for my 986 but it's been trouble free for over 3 years now. Forgot I bought a clutch, well I was doing the LN anyhow.
Good luck which your choice.
DWBOX2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 10:20 AM   #25
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
For me, the late 90's Boxsters are the least desirable. Starting in 2000 they had bigger engines, up to 3.2 liters and better interiors and accessories.
Is it Opposite Day?
Everyone knows that the early Boxsters have the best interiors.
It's the later models that have the soft touch crap interiors.

Exactly what "accessories" do you think later models had that earlier models didn't?

The late 90's models will be the most desirable one day because they are the original 986 in its purest, cleanest form.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #26
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
Why,because of the most serious problems, the '97 and '98 builds had some unique problems outlined here. '99s are the good ones of that era.
Isn't it fairly safe to say that any porous blocks or slipped sleeve/D-chunk engines have been found and replaced by now? To the best of my knowledge, everything else on the list applies equally to all 97-99 cars.

Thus, I am not aware of any reason to specifically avoid a 97 at this point in time.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomob122 View Post
Yea, for some reason the market in my area seems to push higher prices. I’ll see what he says if I throw a $6k at him (pending results of a PPI).
I doubt he'll bite on it, but that's what I'd do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Generally, Porsche engines do much better if they have been driven (most engines do actually).
^This. I'm not a Boxster expert - I've only owned my '99 for a couple years, and it's been trouble free with 175k on the clock. But I have a high-mileage Cayenne and I'm on my second high-mileage 928. These cars like to be driven and, within reason, the harder the better. Given my druthers and the same price, I'd take a well-maintained car with 134k over one with 34k.
"...the 928 is not a joy riding car; it's a tool, a road weapon designed to destroy distance and crush time."
Shawn Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #28
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
+1, haters gotta hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWI Bill View Post
Why all the hate for the 97-99 Boxsters? I have a 97 and have gotten a lot of compliments on it.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Is it Opposite Day?
Everyone knows that the early Boxsters have the best interiors.
It's the later models that have the soft touch crap interiors.

Exactly what "accessories" do you think later models had that earlier models didn't?

The late 90's models will be the most desirable one day because they are the original 986 in its purest, cleanest form.
Let's keep our secret. I like winding out the 2.5 motor on my 97 and love full leather red interior!

Later model interior has the foldable cup holders! So nobody should buy 97-99.

1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote