Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 03:33 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
SMART Top Relay Question

Anyone purchased a SMART Top relay from Pelican or any other distributor? I ask because I received mine in from Pelican today and it looks like a used relay, has oily thumb print on it a paper label that says smartTop mod4cars. I was expecting a new relay for $422.50. Even has an oily smell on it, it appears to be a modified relay as it has a 986.618.199.00 part number.

The picture on the website doesn't match what I received, so just want to see if this is normal. I usually receive brand new parts.

Thanks

__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:08 AM   #2
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 637
Garage
I have one and it is by mods4cars. Can't remember if it has that branding on the unit though or even a part number. It's probably been over 4 years since I looked at it
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 05:39 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
I have one and it is by mods4cars. Can't remember if it has that branding on the unit though or even a part number. It's probably been over 4 years since I looked at it
Thanks. I was just surprised at the condition it arrived in. ON the website it said to make sure the top is completely open before you put it in. Is that necessary? I got the relay to postpone the need to install the break micro switch, since its not working. No instructions came in the box just a relay.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,656
Does it matter? It goes into the fuse box and you'll never see it again.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 637
Garage
You can download the instructions on the internet. As for install Ive used the same one in 2 of my Boxsters and don't recall paying any attention to whether the roof was up or down. I think I only got the instruction many months after it was in. Mine just worked both times
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Does it matter? It goes into the fuse box and you'll never see it again.
It does matter, if you pay for something suppose to be new then it should be new! If they tested it then it should be cleaned up. My point is paying $400 for the relay versus one been used for $200 big difference.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:04 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
You can download the instructions on the internet. As for install Ive used the same one in 2 of my Boxsters and don't recall paying any attention to whether the roof was up or down. I think I only got the instruction many months after it was in. Mine just worked both times
Thanks yeah I looked at the internet instructions says make sure top is down before installing. Just seems strange why it matters, since the cut off is a micro switch.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:21 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Well got lucky brake micro switch functioned long enough to roll top down.

Now the one touch function doesnt appear to work. The brake is bypassed for sure though. Does the car need to be moving to activate the one touch? Instruction are a little vag when you are sitting still and try one touch.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 241
SMART Top Relay Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Well got lucky brake micro switch functioned long enough to roll top down.



Now the one touch function doesnt appear to work. The brake is bypassed for sure though. Does the car need to be moving to activate the one touch? Instruction are a little vag when you are sitting still and try one touch.
Yes, the car needs to be rolling.

OR

While itís already closed, you can hold the close button for a few seconds and then tap the open button and it will work as one-touch.

The reverse works if the roof is open.
__________________
2001 Boxster S, TipTronic in Seal Grey aka "The Imp"
2001 TE50, ESS in (now) Grigio Titanio Matallizzato aka "The Golden child"
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:58 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Yes, the car needs to be rolling.

OR

While itís already closed, you can hold the close button for a few seconds and then tap the open button and it will work as one-touch.

The reverse works if the roof is open.
Thanks will try it out!
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #11
edc
550 Anniversary
 
edc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 637
Garage
On a European car you don't need to be moving. It's one touch open and close without handbrake at standstill or up to 29mph or whatever the limit is.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
Custom User Title Here
 
particlewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: WA
Posts: 6,087
Garage
You have to be moving to use it? That doesn't seem right.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:38 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
On a European car you don't need to be moving. It's one touch open and close without handbrake at standstill or up to 29mph or whatever the limit is.
Mine wouldnt 1 touch, havent tried again I had to leave to pick up my son at the airport. But did the quick touch to open and tried cloths didnt work. Going to try the hold it closed then quick touch open now see if that works.

It did open and close with hand brake disengaged.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Anyone purchased a SMART Top relay from Pelican or any other distributor? I ask because I received mine in from Pelican today and it looks like a used relay, has oily thumb print on it a paper label that says smartTop mod4cars. I was expecting a new relay for $422.50. Even has an oily smell on it, it appears to be a modified relay as it has a 986.618.199.00 part number.

The picture on the website doesn't match what I received, so just want to see if this is normal. I usually receive brand new parts.

Thanks
From their website, "This product is a modified original part. As a result it is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty and does not carry a type approval. Please make sure that installation and use is legal in your jurisdiction and be aware that you carry the responsibility for installation and use of the product."
__________________
2001 Boxster
2007 Toyota Highlander
2003 New Beetle Convertible, Turbo, Tip 6 speed
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
From their website, "This product is a modified original part. As a result it is not covered by the manufacturer's warranty and does not carry a type approval. Please make sure that installation and use is legal in your jurisdiction and be aware that you carry the responsibility for installation and use of the product."
Thanks, I ordered it from Pelican. But at $400 a new modified original relay was expected not a relay with a greasy thumb print. Frankly I am not overly impressed with the product so far. Other than it works to open and close the top with the hand brake off and did get 2 1 touch operations to work.

Still trying to figure out the operation.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
It does matter, if you pay for something suppose to be new then it should be new! If they tested it then it should be cleaned up. My point is paying $400 for the relay versus one been used for $200 big difference.
It's a relay, not a diamond. Pretty sure they modify the OEM relay to create this product, so technically it's not new.

Life is short, why stress about the little things?
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
It's a relay, not a diamond. Pretty sure they modify the OEM relay to create this product, so technically it's not new.

Life is short, why stress about the little things?
Well I like to get what I pay for and a little attention to detail on a sale goes along way.

If i remember correctly the new oem relay is $200, not sure how long mod takes so there is plenty of profit margin to provide a nice product.

I dont mind paying, but I do expect to get what I pay for. I have no issue with a modified relay, I do have a problem with reselling a modified used relay with an apperance of being new! There website doesnt clarify that they use new or used but at that price point I expected a new and at least clean part.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:08 PM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 777
Anyone have a DIY to modify the factory relay?
__________________
98 Arena Red 986

2010 e61 535 "TTWAGON"
Stroked & Blown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
Registered User
 
Cunningr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Anyone have a DIY to modify the factory relay?
Only ones I have seen are done by bending pins, and running a ground wire from pin 15. I think its on pedros site. No 1 touch activation though.

I was reading the operating instructions again, need to keep working on the correct key combo and timing for the 1 touch functions.
__________________
2000 Boxster S Ocean Blue Metalic
Cunningr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #20
still plays with cars...
 
BoxsterSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baden, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,079
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroked & Blown View Post
Anyone have a DIY to modify the factory relay?
Look here...
http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/59535-model-year-2000-2004-convertible-top-relay-mod.html

__________________
Six speed 2000 Boxster S
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page