Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #21
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
Well I like to get what I pay for and a little attention to detail on a sale goes along way.

If i remember correctly the new oem relay is $200, not sure how long mod takes so there is plenty of profit margin to provide a nice product.

I dont mind paying, but I do expect to get what I pay for. I have no issue with a modified relay, I do have a problem with reselling a modified used relay with an apperance of being new! There website doesnt clarify that they use new or used but at that price point I expected a new and at least clean part.
You're not alone. For over $400, I would have expected a new modified relay.

I'd return it, get a $5 Arduino and do the http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/51822-autotop-diy.html

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You're not alone. For over $400, I would have expected a new modified relay.

I'd return it, get a $5 Arduino and do the http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/51822-autotop-diy.html
Damn I forgot about that mod, I had seen that thread awhile back. I would but its in and my son is arriving in a week expects a trip with me. I will live with what I got, my fault for not doing better research. It may be new and got dirty getting modified, but smells like grease and has a greasy thumb print on so makes it suspect.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:51 PM   #23

SMART Top Relay Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
On a European car you don't need to be moving. It's one touch open and close without handbrake at standstill or up to 29mph or whatever the limit is.

That’s interesting. Are you describing the operation of a standard 986, a 986 with the SmartTOP installed, or a 987+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
You have to be moving to use it? That doesn't seem right.

One touch feature remains available for a few seconds after you stop moving. And, as mentioned, there is an override to access one-touch that is still more convenient than holding the button for the whole time. You can also deactivate the safety feature so that one-touch always available any time that you are under 25mph.

Personally, I’d never have paid the retail asking price, but it was a nice bonus to find already in the car after purchase.

Last edited by TrumpyAl; 07-03-2018 at 08:58 PM.
TrumpyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
That’s interesting. Are you describing the operation of a standard 986, a 986 with the SmartTOP installed, or a 987+?

One touch feature remains available for a few seconds after you stop moving. And, as mentioned, there is an override to access one-touch that is still more convenient than holding the button for the whole time. You can also deactivate the safety feature so that one-touch always available any time that you are under 25mph.

Personally, I’d never have paid the retail asking price, but it was a nice bonus to find already in the car after purchase.
Only resson I did is my hand brake microswitch is going out and dont have the time to tear the console out, plus been wanting one. You guys always too quick on the forum to grab a used one lol.
My car is a 986 euro version, havent fiddled with it much yet but the operation you described is how it seems to function on my car. I still have not gotten the hang of it yet. Friday isthe day I drive it to work so can try the operation modeagain.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:32 PM   #25

Yeah, it made sense to me that you’d go this route.

The tricks I’ve picked up from the manual are;

Nice, short button ‘clicks’ to trigger the one-touch operation.

The module may have already been set for a 2000+ model and you may need to manually configure it to be pre-2000. (Or just reset it for auto detection)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningr View Post
It does matter, if you pay for something suppose to be new then it should be new! If they tested it then it should be cleaned up. My point is paying $400 for the relay versus one been used for $200 big difference.
I thought the seller makes it clear they are modifying used relays.
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
I thought the seller makes it clear they are modifying used relays.
I purchased through Pelican and did not really do a thorough check because usually I get new parts from pelican. Even now when I read the vendor site it is not clear they say using modified OEM part at $400 for a relay makes it appear they by new OEM relay modify it then resale it. Maybe I missed the used part and honestly I wouldn’t spend $400 on a used electric component normally.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:17 AM   #28

I think I need to clarify why I asked the question:

First I am not saying the part is new or used because I do not know, this is why I asked the question to see if these normally have the appearance of a used item.

I have worked on electronics for over 20 years and never left grease on a component, either new or used. Takes 1 minute to wipe it off. Does it affect the part probably not, but it goes to providing the customer a better experience.

I personally think this is over priced by $100 with them using a brand new modified OEM relay. But I don't know their labor cost to modify.

Why would I be concerned about receiving a modified OEM used relay you ask?
Well it has no warranty to begin with so I spend money for mod4cars item its expensive, electrical items mal function, so I would expect the best part available to better the chances of a long life.

I am not trying to dis on the vendor, but as far as product appearance I am not impressed. I feel appearance tells a lot on workmanship, whether it affects operation or not.

So the guy with the its not a diamond comment! Since you like to spend high dollar on crap, I have a lot of junk I will gladly sell you at retail!!! I know it ain't know diamond but it cost as much as one!
Old 07-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #29

Garage
I bought one used off eBay a couple years ago. Got the instructions off their website. It took a little fiddling to get it to work right but works as should since then. As others have said, the one touch operation only works when moving. When stopped it functions as the stock relay (have to hold button)
Old 07-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate50 View Post
I bought one used off eBay a couple years ago. Got the instructions off their website. It took a little fiddling to get it to work right but works as should since then. As others have said, the one touch operation only works when moving. When stopped it functions as the stock relay (have to hold button)
Thanks yeah I been on their page, supposedly need to hold 3 sec closed then quick touch open and vice versa to activate the one touch.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:41 AM   #31

Remember, you can turn that safety feature off and have the one-touch feature available before commencing the drive, if you like.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:25 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpyAl View Post
Remember, you can turn that safety feature off and have the one-touch feature available before commencing the drive, if you like.
I saw that but my military training keeps me from it! Lol. Maybe after i see how everything works. I prefer deliberate actions though, hate to do something silly by accident.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #33

Garage
I have a one touch button roof mod for sale if anyone is interested. I know it works on 2001 S model cars but not sure about others as I only own a 2001 S. PM me if anyone is interested.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:18 AM   #34

Just to close out the thread wanted to do final update.

Smart top relay works as advertised. Was unhappy with condition it arrived in, but otherwise seems to be a nice convenience.

Before moving used one touch feature to open by holding the button in closed direction for 3 seconds, and quick touch to open. Seems I wasn't waiting quit long enough. Top closed I used 1 touch function while moving, work great there, freed up my right hand to get nats out of the car.

Still think its too pricey, but nice addition.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:18 AM   #35
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

It's a ridiculously expensive addition. $400+? Labor involved? Pffffft.

I can think of much better things upon which to drop $400 plus, and saving a finger on a button for 10 seconds isn't one of them.

I would be a raging lunatic if a part I ordered arrived with fingerprints, grease, and smelling like oil. No. Way. I don't care of it worked or not... it better arrive like they gave a **************** about modding it, and especially at that ridiculous price.

Finally, it can't be rocket science. It's a relay. Surely PW has a workaround, and for several hundreds dollars less.

$00.02
Old 07-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post

I can think of much better things upon which to drop $400 plus, and saving a finger on a button for 10 seconds isn't one of them.

I would be a raging lunatic if a part I ordered arrived with fingerprints, grease, and smelling like oil. No. Way. I don't care of it worked or not... it better arrive like they gave a **************** about modding it, and especially at that ridiculous price.

Finally, it can't be rocket science. It's a relay. Surely PW has a workaround, and for several hundreds dollars less.

$00.02

So, don’t buy one?
Old 07-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post

$00.02
Why I am passing along my comments. My point exactly about the presentation, but wanted to provide a complete non-objective review. I needed a quick solution, so had to pay for the quick solution. As for llabour trying to give benefit that there is some.

I suggest you buy a used one, for function.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:55 AM   #38

I doubt very much that they're used relays. The Smart Relays don't have a core charge, where would a business get a supply of used, working relays to modify? My reading of their website was that these are new Porsche relays that are opened up and modified. If there was an oily fingerprint it was just a matter of dirty hands and lax quality control.

Amazing to me that no one has opened one up and reverse engineered it. At least no one has posted about it.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
I doubt very much that they're used relays. The Smart Relays don't have a core charge, where would a business get a supply of used, working relays to modify? My reading of their website was that these are new Porsche relays that are opened up and modified. If there was an oily fingerprint it was just a matter of dirty hands and lax quality control.

Amazing to me that no one has opened one up and reverse engineered it. At least no one has posted about it.
Kinda my opinion as well. I was concerned might have been one returned and reworked. I might look at the sechematics. The brake bypass is the easy piece just ground pin 15. The one touch funcions though must be some type of circuit board.

I will be repairing the micro switch in the winter, so ifigure when i sell the car, i can probably sell the smart relay seperate. I like it just an expensive convinience, did easily resolve my immediate problem.