Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #1

Brake Booster Vacuum Hose Replacement

Hi guys,

Just want to share with you guys what I did today. I replaced the brake booster vacuum hose in the engine compartment due to codes P1128, P1130. There were two air leaks, one at the intake manifold rubber boots, and the other was the vacuum hose. It took me an hour to wiggle the old one out, and another hour to wiggle the new one in, but it was doable. Here're a few photos, and hope this info would be useful to anyone troubleshooting those codes.

hancock1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 PM   #2

I've had those 2 exact same codes for the longest time!! Do you have a pic of where that actually is in the engine compartment? What was the cost of the new line?
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:30 AM   #3

I don't have a pic of it in the engine compartment, but it starts from the driver's side intake manifold, goes towards the air filter housing, then along the firewall down. The new part costs about $60 from Auto Atlanta and it took about 2 weeks to get here (I assume from Germany).
Old 04-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Hancock, thanks for your pics and lead to Auto Atlanta. On my '02S, the white connector for the vacuum hose on the engine compartment end broke off just inside the black hose, causing no braking and rough idle. Part 14 you reference appears to be 98635557507 per Auto Atlanta. I think I ordered the wrong part yesterday from my local dealer.
Here's my question: Did the new hose you installed connect in the front of the car before you got inside the front trunk? I think I ordered the hose that connects to the brake booster in the frunk and I think it's a separate part that I don't need.
Your advised is appreciated as I seek to minimize my downtime waiting for parts.
Thanks,
Sunshine State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:36 PM   #5
Registered Boxster abuser

Oh wow never seen the leak over there. Good catch!

how do the brakes feel now? any easier?
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine State View Post
Hancock, thanks for your pics and lead to Auto Atlanta. On my '02S, the white connector for the vacuum hose on the engine compartment end broke off just inside the black hose, causing no braking and rough idle. Part 14 you reference appears to be 98635557507 per Auto Atlanta. I think I ordered the wrong part yesterday from my local dealer.
Here's my question: Did the new hose you installed connect in the front of the car before you got inside the front trunk? I think I ordered the hose that connects to the brake booster in the frunk and I think it's a separate part that I don't need.
Your advised is appreciated as I seek to minimize my downtime waiting for parts.
Thanks,
The hose I installed is part 14 in the diagram with the part number you referred. From the back to front, from intake manifold to brake booster, it's the hose that I replaced, another hose under the body, and then the third hose connecting the underbody hose to the brake booster. So the hose I installed is in the engine bay, not in the front of the car. Hope this is useful to you, and let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!
Old 04-22-2015, 02:55 AM   #7

Thanks, Hancock, yes that helps a lot. So, part 14 connects to the underbody hose. Glad I don't have to mess with everything forward. Am I right to assume the part comes with a connector or I can re-use what's there? Thanks.
Sunshine State is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 05:02 PM   #8

Yeah, part 14 connects to the underbody hose. It comes with everything you need. There's a small circlip on the white connector, and I can't remember if it comes with the part or not, so you might want to save it.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #9

Hello, I have the same issue, my brake booster vacuum line broke off at the white connector. I received the replacement hose. Today I removed the broken hose and am now struggling to install the replacement. I've given up for the night and might try again tomorrow (Sunday) and if I can't get it in will just have the car towed to Porsche and have them install it. If you have any guidance for installing the replacement hose I'd appreciate it. Thanks!!!
mforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #10

The white clip that locks the pipe coupler is part #: 999-230-535-40 in the parts catalog on page 44/45. That part has been superseded to part #: 999-230-512-40.
mforester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:40 AM   #11

Anyone have a replacement part number for the hose itself? 98635557507 NLA according to my searches. I will go to the dealer on Monday. I have the same leak and CEL numbers.
Jay Laifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 06:35 PM   #12

Porsche does have the part. I don't know why some show it as NLA. In the meantime, while waiting for the part to arrive, I did wrap the holes with tape. Sealed it up and took care of the CELs. I wish I found this fix a long time ago.

Jay Laifman is offline   Reply With Quote